Broken Ankle advice please

MuddledMuggle
on 2/24/19 10:22 am

Hi

three days ago I fell by slipping on blac**** and strained my hip. Then the next night when I was walking down the stairs my hip gave out and I fell down the stairs. Thinking I only twisted my ankle I liked around the house that night and the next morning. But still unable to put any reassure on my ankle I went to the ER. After xrays I have a broken ankle. The doctor tried an air cast boot but my calf was too big for the boot and they had to put a traditional white cast on my leg.

Has something like this happened to anyone else? Were you able to find a wide width calf air walking boot? This cast and crutches are really messing with my mental health and I don't know how I'll make it another 6 weeks

thabk you in advance for ANY advice you have

chevtow41
on 2/24/19 3:53 pm
DS on 11/11/14

Never had an issue getting a walking boot, even when I was almost 500lbs. Maybe ask doctor if there is any other places to try. Another idea might be a rolling scooter, they are made for stuff like this, much easier than crutching.

MuddledMuggle
on 2/24/19 4:00 pm

Thank you, I thought it was odd that the boot wouldn't fit at all but my calves are about 24 inches at their widest part. I have spent literally six hours looking online for an article on wide width air casts or for calf widths on air casts. I found only one article from one woman who said there is nothing at all out there

Gwen M.
on 2/24/19 4:22 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I would recommend seeing an orthopedist outside of ER.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Kristi T.
on 2/26/19 9:56 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

I agree with Gwen, I think it is very important to get another opinion from an Orthopedist outside of the ER. Usually they give you a referral to follow up with one as soon as possible. Renting a leg scooter to prop your leg up behind you when moving is so much better than crutches. Good luck to you!

Most Active