tonights menu

dreamer1234
on 4/4/19 4:44 pm

tonight i wanted something totally different and red meat of any kind makes me sick so i made chicken-kale tacos with fresh tomatoes and a tad of low fat sour cream. they were really good. does anyone else cook with kale? sometimes when i want a chocolate fix i make low fat, carb free, sugar free brownies which has a mashed advacado in it. sounds gross but it is pretty good.

Kathy S.
on 4/9/19 5:23 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi dreamer1234,

Thanks for sharing your recipe. When it first was the rage I must confess I ate it and hated it. I continued to try and eat it because it was so good but had to mix it with other greens like spinach. Needless to say it's not my favorite. Check out our recipe forum and also egg face has some great recipes too

Eggface 's Profile

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/9/19 6:35 am

I am a number person. And little bit OCD when it comes to nutrition.

I can't imagine brownies you made, most likely using cocoa, and avocado etc to be carbs free. They could be almost sugar free, but carbs free? Avocado has relatively significant amount of fiber. So does cocoa. Most of the carbs may be fiber, but it is still not carbs free. As I learned during my post op journey, I can't discount all fiber. And most diebetic people who need insuIin, the can't ignore fiber as "not a carb". Some carbs can get through my system undigested, but my body can and will convert some fiber into had, water, and sugar. Even though I am not a diabetic, and I really never was diabetic, I can't ignore fiber when calculating carbs in my diet.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/9/19 10:44 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I did some googling and came out with the same thing you did-- a lot of them are "zero NET carb." Which is totally different.

Example: https://www.mypcoskitchen.com/keto-avocado-brownies-2/

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Liz J.
on 4/9/19 10:21 am
DS on 11/29/16

I love kale salads! My biggest problem with Kale is I can't eat it fast enough before it goes bad and my husband isn't any help as he doesn't like kale. Every once in a while I'll make a kale slaw chicken salad with dressing on the side, I have to eat it for four days in a row just to get most of it eaten before going bad... For a chocolate fix I have a protein bar everyday so i never feel like I need a fix.

HW: 398.8 SW:356 GW: 175 CW:147

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/9/19 10:45 am
RNY on 08/05/19

"Zero carb" brownies are lovely, but don't have nearly enough protein we need as WLS patients. If you've got the willpower to limit yourself to a single small serving (and not all of us do), that's fab, but it's better to get your chocolate fix with something like chocolate milk or pudding!

How did you make the tacos? Did you cook the kale with the chicken, or use the kale instead of a tortilla? I absolutely cannot stand kale, but I'm always up to try a new recipe to see if I can finally like it :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Partlypollyanna
on 4/9/19 12:38 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

I think kale is right up there with Mayo is the love it or hate it game. There's no middle ground, lol.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Most Active