15 years post-surgury!

Lois S.
on 5/5/19 7:40 am - Neenah, WI

It was 15 years yesterday that I had the VBG done! I'm thrilled to say that I am doing extremely well! I originally lost 145 lbs, but have since gained 10 of that back. I am still well within my BMI range though! My message to all newbies is to take the comments and advice here at face value. Listen to your doctor before listening to people who don't know you, as everyone's experience is different. I received messages stating my type of surgery is outdated, I was bound to fail, and so forth. EVERY SURGERY WORKS! But it depends on YOU and how long and hard you are willing to work it and follow it. I have friends who have had RNY and Lap-Bands and have gained their weight back, so no one surgery is the magic cure-all. If you can't make the lifetime commitment to this, then you are not ready. Be strong, surrounded yourself with supportive and healthy-minded people, and listen to your body and doctor. Best wishes to everyone in every step of the process, and live well. Peace.

Amy R.
on 5/5/19 9:07 am
On May 5, 2019 at 2:40 PM Pacific Time, Lois S. wrote:

It was 15 years yesterday that I had the VBG done! I'm thrilled to say that I am doing extremely well! I originally lost 145 lbs, but have since gained 10 of that back. I am still well within my BMI range though! My message to all newbies is to take the comments and advice here at face value. Listen to your doctor before listening to people who don't know you, as everyone's experience is different. I received messages stating my type of surgery is outdated, I was bound to fail, and so forth. EVERY SURGERY WORKS! But it depends on YOU and how long and hard you are willing to work it and follow it. I have friends who have had RNY and Lap-Bands and have gained their weight back, so no one surgery is the magic cure-all. If you can't make the lifetime commitment to this, then you are not ready. Be strong, surrounded yourself with supportive and healthy-minded people, and listen to your body and doctor. Best wishes to everyone in every step of the process, and live well. Peace.

Congratulations on 15 years!

Every surgery *does* work. But not every surgery works for every body.

We all get to be responsible for choosing one that we can commit to, one that will physically benefit us. And then doing that. I'm glad you posted. There are people here who've had the VBG but I've not met one who hasn't revised. It's good to know it works right for the right people.

Pobearsam7
on 5/5/19 9:31 am

I had to google vbg i never heard of those initials before as it relates to wls, but when I found out what it is I did hear of this procedure before

thats awesome you have done so well after 15 yrs

Kelly                

VSGAnn2014
on 5/5/19 11:43 am
VSG on 08/14/14

Amen, Lois! :)

And congratulations on your 15-year-long WLS success.

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

Gina 21 Years Out
on 5/5/19 4:41 pm - Burleson, TX

LOIS - CONGRATS!!! I am sincerely happy you are doing so well, on your journey, as am I. I am currently 17 post RNY, and 10 years below "number goal", but it's hasn't always been without challenges, by any means! You and I obviously had/or have excellent surgeons/doctors (my bari surgeon has retired)...but not everyone does...

Some people NEED "people who don't know them", to help lead them, in the right direction. Stick around here...You wouldn't believe how uninformed some programs leave their patients. It is truly mind boggling...I had EXCELLENT instructions, and follow up, even back in the dinosaur days...some of these poor peeps get squat, and what they get, they can't possibly get healthy on

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Grim_Traveller
on 5/5/19 11:03 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Thanks for stopping by! See you in another 7 years!

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Kathy S.
on 5/6/19 5:19 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Kathy S.
on 5/6/19 5:27 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Lois,

I am sure your email address is not up to date so I wanted to post here. Being successful 15 years out and with a surgery that is not done anymore would be such an information journey to share. Not to mention inspirational. If you would be interested in sharing your story please contact me and I will send you the details.

Again, congratulations for living life as it was meant to be lived

Regards,

Kathy

Member Services

[email protected]

Lois S.
on 5/6/19 1:10 pm - Neenah, WI

My email is sty the same at *********

I would be happy to help!

Kathy S.
on 5/6/19 1:11 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Lois,

That would be great. I will email you BTW, I removed your email as we suggest not posting any personal information on the website. Thanks again, I think the community would love to read about your journey

Regards,

Kathy

Most Active