10 years post op and numbness and tingling... anyone else?

Megan B.
on 5/8/19 11:15 am, edited 5/8/19 11:19 am - Southgate, MI

Ok so I am 10 years Post RNY. I had 2 C-Sections before RNY and 2 after. I had my Gall bladder out laparoscopicly but that was right after baby number 1. I had a Hysterectomy. I just had hernia repair surgery in August AND December. And my RNY was done Open. I was 328 at my highest and I got down to 155 but as soon as they said hysterectomy I just felt in my inner most being that I wasn't going to make it through it and in 2 months I put 50 lbs on. They almost lost me on the table and had a really hard time bringing me back. Last summer I was at my best I got down to a size 4 and I felt great. But then I lost my job and I haven't been able to find work since, I am still looking. For a couple years I have been noticing that my fingers have been cold and I told my doctor. We chalked it up to my Iron being low or my B12 at times. But now my blood work is great.

My Thumb and first 2 fingers on both hands are like ice and numb on both hands. the other 2 fingers are cold and tingly. My forearms tingle from time to time also. I have like a tremer in my left hand that comes and goes. My cheeks and around my mouth tingles and my eyes twitch sometimes too. My feet are always cold and sometimes go numb. My calves tingle from time to time too. I keep telling my doctor and he is only addressing my hands. He sent me for an EMG a few years ago. He tricked me and didn't tell me what it was. I am terrified of needles. Well needless to say I didn't have nerve damage. He believes I have carpal Tunnel. This would make sense as my last job I was making motors for seats in cars and I was doing the same thing over and over again 500+ times a day. He wants me to have the EMG done again. My problem is WHAT ABOUT MY FEET, what about my face. I need to work and I can't feel my finger tips. I have been off of work for 30 weeks and just ran out of unemployment and what kind of job can I do that doesn't require me to feel?

Has anyone else had this problem? I need to steer him in a direction to look. HELP

kairosgrammy
on 5/8/19 12:06 pm
RNY on 10/17/17

Have they checked your cervical spine? Having had those problems, it seems familiar and a herniated or herniated discs could cause all those problems. You will probably have to have a cervical and possibly lower back or both MRI.

Surgeon: Dr. David Carroll Surgery Date: 3/17/2017 Hospital: Merritt Health River Oaks Hospital

Height: 5'2" HW: 331 lbs SW: 279 lbs GW: 130 (originally, I changed to 140) CW: 130 to 135 ish

Biggest Goal: To Be Healthy in everything I do!!! To make healthy choices always!!! To just embrace HEALTH each and every day for the rest of my Life!!!

Grim_Traveller
on 5/8/19 2:01 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

The first thing I would make sure of is that really complete blood work is done. A complete check of all vitamins and minerals is about 15 vials of blood. Get the printout of the results and go over them yourself. See that they are in the upper part of the range for everything. Don't take someone else's word that the results are good. Too often something in the very bottom is "ok" to them, when it's not.

Some vitamin deficiencies can result in permanent impairment. Your levels could be ok right now, but if they were low for long enough at one point, it can be causing problems still.

Best of luck.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

White Dove
on 5/8/19 4:49 pm - Warren, OH

Carpal tunnel is not affecting your feet or your face. Something else is wrong. Could be a deficiency or could be spinal related. Insist that this be looked into.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

lisapelly
on 5/9/19 5:52 am

I had the numbness and tingling in my elbow and down my pinky finger and thumb....turned out to be my neck. My chiropractor helped me greatly.

OnlineAnnie
on 5/9/19 1:13 am

My hands and feet regularly go tingly, numb, feel freezing and lose all their colour. For me I have Raynaud's which is pretty benign, I just have to find a warming source (ho****er, heating pad) to get my colour and feeling back, as my body won't do it on its own. My hands and feet turn white, then when i warm them they go dark purple/black, then they pink up until they're normal, all within a few minutes. It's quite the thing to watch! I hope that is what is happening for you because it's not a big medical problem for most people. Raynaud's is triggered by cold or stress. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/176713.php All the best to you and I hope that things aren't as bad as they are seeming to you right now.

hollykim
on 5/9/19 8:42 am, edited 5/9/19 1:42 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 8, 2019 at 6:15 PM Pacific Time, mrs.edney wrote:

Ok so I am 10 years Post RNY. I had 2 C-Sections before RNY and 2 after. I had my Gall bladder out laparoscopicly but that was right after baby number 1. I had a Hysterectomy. I just had hernia repair surgery in August AND December. And my RNY was done Open. I was 328 at my highest and I got down to 155 but as soon as they said hysterectomy I just felt in my inner most being that I wasn't going to make it through it and in 2 months I put 50 lbs on. They almost lost me on the table and had a really hard time bringing me back. Last summer I was at my best I got down to a size 4 and I felt great. But then I lost my job and I haven't been able to find work since, I am still looking. For a couple years I have been noticing that my fingers have been cold and I told my doctor. We chalked it up to my Iron being low or my B12 at times. But now my blood work is great.

My Thumb and first 2 fingers on both hands are like ice and numb on both hands. the other 2 fingers are cold and tingly. My forearms tingle from time to time also. I have like a tremer in my left hand that comes and goes. My cheeks and around my mouth tingles and my eyes twitch sometimes too. My feet are always cold and sometimes go numb. My calves tingle from time to time too. I keep telling my doctor and he is only addressing my hands. He sent me for an EMG a few years ago. He tricked me and didn't tell me what it was. I am terrified of needles. Well needless to say I didn't have nerve damage. He believes I have carpal Tunnel. This would make sense as my last job I was making motors for seats in cars and I was doing the same thing over and over again 500+ times a day. He wants me to have the EMG done again. My problem is WHAT ABOUT MY FEET, what about my face. I need to work and I can't feel my finger tips. I have been off of work for 30 weeks and just ran out of unemployment and what kind of job can I do that doesn't require me to feel?

Has anyone else had this problem? I need to steer him in a direction to look. HELP

the numbness and tingling in your extremities and your face can be caused by a severe calcium deficiency. Severe calcium deficiency can cause heart irregularities.

I recently dealt with this personally and I can tell you to get labs drawn ASAP cause this can be life threatening.

I ended up in the hospital receiving iv calcium twice in the last month from these same symptoms. Don't mess around any more with this.

Grim_Traveller
on 5/9/19 11:33 am
RNY on 08/21/12

If it is a calcium deficiency, you really need a DEXA scan. It's very quick, and pretty much just a specialized Cray. We should have them done every three years after WLS regardless, just to monitor our bone health.

The only blood test that has much bone health value is for PTH, which we should be getting every year.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Diminishing Dawn
on 5/12/19 10:58 am - Windsor, Canada

Rule out things above and then check that your doctor has done full labs including all the b vitamins especially b6 and b1. Many doctors omit these tests. I cannot tell you how many times doctors don't check for b1 This is a serious issue

Then consider looking at symptoms of MS.

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Most Active