Ouch! Loss of "padding"

TheWombat
on 6/15/19 11:50 am
VSG on 06/11/18

I've heard of lots of people finding sitting uncomfortable for a while after WLS because they've lost their built-in cushion. I don't have that problem, but I have a similar one. When I lie on one side for too long, the skin over my hip bones starts to hurt. I keep waking up in the middle of the night, having to roll over so one hip gets a break.

This is a very minor problem in the scheme of things, and I'm sure eventually the fat will redistribute a little better. But in the meantime, I wish I could take some of the fat on my belly and put it over my hip bones!

Lauren010110
on 6/16/19 4:35 pm - Victorville, CA

I feel you! My hips started hurting more and more and I ended up getting a different mattress and the pain has gone away significantly. There was a lot of "research" that went into the final decision /purchase... but we are happy with our memory foam-type bed! I also carry a lot of weight in my hip area so, after countless chiropractor and massage appointments, things seem to be feeling a bit better.

It just seems like we had certain body ache issues prior to surgery and totally different ones, after! lol

jmk187
on 6/16/19 4:36 pm
VSG on 02/13/19

I have been waking up with hip pain as well. Every morning it seems. I feel like I am going to dislocate it if i get out of bed too quick or put my shorts on and lift my right leg to high...

I also get the hip pain in the middle of the night as well and have to swithc sides. it's hard to find a comfy sleep position 80lbs down.

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

White Dove
on 6/17/19 6:19 am - Warren, OH

I had this problem the first year after my RNY. What worked for me was capsaicin cream. The cream has the stuff from hot peppers. When you put it on your skin, you block pain messages to your nerves. It only took a few days to stop all of the hip pain for me.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/17/19 3:00 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Look for a memory foam mattress topper, you can find them quite affordably on Amazon! I particularly had this problem when I hit goal and got pregnant and it was damn near impossible to get comfortable in bed. We got a 4" thick one for our King mattress, it was under $100, and it's held up very nicely in the years since.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

metnav
on 6/30/19 3:37 pm

From my research, and personal experience, people should be told to expect hip pain after significant weight loss... Why this occurs, I cannot say, but it is a very common problem, particularly the sits bones, and hip joints... I've lost 54lbs over 4.5 months, with 30lbs left before I reach my target weight, and my hips have been painful since I lost 25lbs... I exercise, with 4 miles of walking and weight workouts daily... EXPECT HIP PAIN, just push on through it.

George

Most Active