Dr. Sarinana at Hospital de la Familia

cindynels
on 8/13/19 12:26 am - MN

im going to have a revision surgery in Mexico and was wondering if anybody went to Dr. Sarinana at Hospital de la Familia. My next choice is Dr. Huacuz at Certified Bariatric Surgeons. I would love to hear opinions/experiences from anyone who has gone to either of these surgeons.

jmk187
on 8/13/19 2:17 am
VSG on 02/13/19

Hi Cindy, you can easily find past threads from people by using the sites search function. I did a search for Dr. Sarinana and found these threads.

https://www.obesityhelp.com/search/?q=Dr.%20Sarinana

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

jmk187
on 8/13/19 2:39 am
VSG on 02/13/19

Also not sure which surgery you will be revising but i wanted to add that i have seen videos on youtube of people who have had really horrible experiences revising to the mini bypass in mexico.

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

cindynels
on 8/13/19 7:52 am - MN

I'm having a revision from RNY to Duodenal Switch.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/13/19 10:32 am
RNY on 08/05/19

RNY to DS is a very tricky and potentially dangerous surgery. I believe there are only a handful of surgeons in the states who do them with any frequency, or a safe track record. I would be very nervous about having this particular procedure done in Mexico.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

ladygodiva1228
on 8/14/19 12:02 pm - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Have you verified with both doctors that they know how to take down the RNY and then perform the DS? It is a very complicated and long procedure.

I think there are maybe 5 or so doctors here in the US who are experienced to perform that type of revision surgery.

Don't be surprised if you wake up and it isn't a true DS they revised you to but a hybrid of sorts. Heck here in the US folks think they are being revised to a true DS and it ends up being something else.

Why do you need to have a revision? Is there something wrong with the RNY?

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/13/19 10:31 am
RNY on 08/05/19

You might want to try asking this on the Mexico forum:

https://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/mexico/

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 8/13/19 8:27 pm

Mexico is great for reasonably priced PS ...but to revise to DS no no no . This revision is literally like getting hit by a Mack truck ... it's extremely serious surgery .., in Mexico you won't even know what they did to you till years after . Please reconsider for your own safety . And try right now to make your tool work ... RNY is Really good especially long term . ((())) big hugs

jmk187
on 8/14/19 4:40 am
VSG on 02/13/19

I remember watching a video about a woman who had VSG done in Mexico..It was titled "the truth about VSG in mexico" or something...anyways the way she explained her surgery was like stuff that would land a doctor in the united states in jail. I guess she like apparently went as a group of people who had the surgery done..Kind of like a bus of americans who all paid for same weight loss surgery package that included a stay at a hotel. And like the day of surgery she described it as everyone waiting in the lobby together doing all the presurgery stuff together in like groups of 3 or something...and like they had multiple people in the Operating room at the same time laying on the tables. and like after the doctor was done with one patient, he just took off his gloves and slipped on new gloves and went on to the next patient at another operating table. When she said this my jaw dropped...this just sound so Not sterile. She said everyone recovered in the hotel, not a hospital. Like everyone was bussed over to the hotel immediately after surgery to recover. I think about my experience and the way she described hers..and it's mind boggling. I am wondering if this is routine for surgery in mexico?

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

cindynels
on 8/14/19 5:00 am - MN

Fortunately that is not at all routine for surgery in Mexico. I've done a ton of research and patients are really well taken care of. I would actually be spending 3 nights in a regular hospital and two nights in a hotel. The only time I might be with other travelers is when they pick me up from and take me back to the airport. I know there are going to be horror stories, but no more than in the states. They are just more publicized because it makes for good news.

Most Active