Weight gain, now trying to get back on track

robiny
on 9/5/19 10:08 am - Lake Forest, CA

I had RNY 10 years ago. I lost 165 pounds over the course of 2 years. Once I reached my goal, I slowly started putting the weight back on, unfortunately 100 lbs of it. Over the years I have both lost and gained back again about the same 50 lbs. So I still need to get 100 lbs off.

I am now really trying to get back to my goal as my health is deteriorating. For the last 2 months I have been consistently eating properly, tracking everything in My Fitness Pal. I have only lost 11 lbs. I am getting so frustrated and discouraged. My electrophysiologist is adamant that I have 20 more lbs off by my next visit. I am not sure if it is possible.

I am making sure to keep my protein up. I eat between 800-1000 calories a day. If I go over 1000 I gain. I cannot do much physical activity due to my health issues.

Any guidance or suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

HW: 303/First Visit Surgeon: 276/Day of Surgery: 253.2/Goal Reached: 138.6/CW: 219
Surgery : 03/19/09 - found Intestional Malrotation / RNY: 05/07/09

ScaleSkater
on 9/5/19 11:02 am, edited 9/5/19 4:03 am

I very roughly calculate that you likely need 1500 cals or maybe a little more to maintain your current weight. If you are gaining at 1000, the issue is probably how you are counting and what you are eating. Get more diligent with weighing and measures - everything. Eliminate most, if not all non veg carbs. Gone! Keep total carbs very low and concentrate on dense proteins. Participate in the daily menu thread to get ideas for eating. But if you are really very inactive, you should expect things to be slow going. But they should be going. Check what you are eating carefully and get ideas from the menu thread. And the little nibbles count. Good luck.

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

robiny
on 9/5/19 11:47 am - Lake Forest, CA

Thank you. I will check the menu thread for new ideas. I do weigh and measure everything, including my water. I do have a good deal of vegetables in my diet, I will need to be more diligent about those carbs, otherwise it is mostly protein. I really appreciate your input. Thanks so much.

HW: 303/First Visit Surgeon: 276/Day of Surgery: 253.2/Goal Reached: 138.6/CW: 219

Liz J.
on 9/5/19 12:18 pm
DS on 11/29/16

You're not going to lose as fast as you think you should. 11 pounds in 2 months is actually pretty good, basically anything over 5 pounds a month. Most health care professionals agree that a pound a week is great and has less chance of regain. Good luck.

HW: 398.8 SW:356 GW: 175 CW:147

robiny
on 9/5/19 12:30 pm - Lake Forest, CA

Thank you. My electrophysiologist wants me to lose 20lbs in 3 months. I am trying so hard. I don't think he believes me when I tell him what I eat. I am diligently keeping my food diary to show him. Also, my husband is "watching" me at my request and will be joining me at my next appointment to confirm that I am doing as I claim.

hollykim
on 9/5/19 1:55 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 5, 2019 at 5:08 PM Pacific Time, robiny wrote:

I had RNY 10 years ago. I lost 165 pounds over the course of 2 years. Once I reached my goal, I slowly started putting the weight back on, unfortunately 100 lbs of it. Over the years I have both lost and gained back again about the same 50 lbs. So I still need to get 100 lbs off.

I am now really trying to get back to my goal as my health is deteriorating. For the last 2 months I have been consistently eating properly, tracking everything in My Fitness Pal. I have only lost 11 lbs. I am getting so frustrated and discouraged. My electrophysiologist is adamant that I have 20 more lbs off by my next visit. I am not sure if it is possible.

I am making sure to keep my protein up. I eat between 800-1000 calories a day. If I go over 1000 I gain. I cannot do much physical activity due to my health issues.

Any guidance or suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

you may have to drop down to 700-800 calls a day. You are likely eating near maintenance calls if you are having trouble losing.

What does a days menu look like for you?

robiny
on 9/5/19 3:06 pm - Lake Forest, CA

Because I am having such a hard time losing, I am eating all bariatric packaged meals as well as Syntrax protein drink. I start each day with a protein drink, 25 - 30 grams of protein and 100 calories. I then have a packaged bariatric meal for lunch, dinner and 2 snacks. Each around 125 - 140 calories and at least 15 grams of protein. Additionally veggies, spinach mushrooms, cucumbers and onions.

hollykim
on 9/5/19 3:15 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 5, 2019 at 10:06 PM Pacific Time, robiny wrote:

Because I am having such a hard time losing, I am eating all bariatric packaged meals as well as Syntrax protein drink. I start each day with a protein drink, 25 - 30 grams of protein and 100 calories. I then have a packaged bariatric meal for lunch, dinner and 2 snacks. Each around 125 - 140 calories and at least 15 grams of protein. Additionally veggies, spinach mushrooms, cucumbers and onions.

how many carbs in the packaged meals and how much sodium? The meals and protein shake comes to 640 calls using 135 calls to multiply for each one.

If you are eating 800-1000 calls a day are the rest of the calls coming only from veggies? That is 260 calories coming from somewhere else. I don't think that many calls would come from the veggies you mentioned.

I would stop the packaged meals and eat dense protein only.

robiny
on 9/5/19 3:38 pm - Lake Forest, CA

There was a typo, it's 3 snacks. I tend to overestimate my calories in my counter, I am afraid of going over my limit. I think you might be right about changing what I am eating as this is clearly not working for me. Thanks!

White Dove
on 9/5/19 2:48 pm - Warren, OH

You need about 10 calories per day to maintain one pound. You need to eliminate 3500 calories to lose one pound. If you ate 1000 calories a day, you should be dropping a pound every four days or about two pounds a week.

I have better luck with Weigh****chers at 12 years out, then I do with going back to basics. I dont count calories, just points.

Everyone finds what works best for them. What you are doing now does not seem to be working very well, so it might be worthwhile to try something completely different. Some of us do well with Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, and other commercial programs.

I was a lifetime member of Weigh****chers before surgery and never thought I would ever go back. But regain is real and dieting is a lifetime job for me. What I like about Weigh****chers is that I can eat protein, or carbs, or any food that I want and just track its points. I never have to crave anything, because if I want it, I just eat it and track it.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active