What foods to avoid when first starting

ashleypollara
on 12/9/19 11:55 am

I have just started the 6 month process of losing weight to get gastric bypass surgery. I've lost 2 lbs so far. Doesn't seem like enough but I need to know what foods to avoid, portions I should eat etc? Anything that can help please. My next appointment isn't for a month and I work like to lose a good amount of weight by than. You can even private message me.

catwoman7
on 12/9/19 1:23 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

are you working with a dietitian? Mine gave me pretty good instructions on what to do. For example, she had me gradually increasing my protein, gradually decreasing my carbs, focusing on healthy food, and eating an average of 2300 calories a day (which sounds like a TON now, but at the time, I was averaging 3000+, so 2300 seemed like a diet to me! (but fortunately, it was a "do-able" diet...I was able to maintain it throughout the six-month period)). She also had me gradually wean myself off coffee and carbonated beverages. It's mostly a time to ease yourself into the pattern of eating you'll be following after surgery, so the change won't seem so radical.

I don't think she told me to avoid any particular foods - just to try to eat using those guidelines. Your dietitian may have different ideas on what to do, though..

(deactivated member)
on 12/9/19 4:39 pm

I didn't lose any weight, I just showed up for the appointments. If you are near the 40 bmi level, dropping below will risk an insurance rejection.

The insurance requirement is to get counseling for a period of time, not to lose weight. It's different if your doctor wants you to lose weight to minimize risk during surgery.

Good luck!

Partlypollyanna
on 12/9/19 6:07 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

Not all insurance plans have the same requirements.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Partlypollyanna
on 12/9/19 6:13 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

During my pre stage, every month I had to work on 3 things - my first month it was no alcohol, no carbonated drinks and add more vegetables. The next month it was those three things plus three more, like no skipped meals, x carbs per day and pizza only 2x a week.

the most important part (and, in my opinion, the most impactful although annoying at the time) was the food and mood log. No eating in the car, not eating on the sofa or kitchen counter while multi tasking. Sit down, log the food, how you feel before and after eating and was it head hunger, eye hunger, tongue, etc. I fall back on the types of hunger evaluations regularly.

good luck!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

White Dove
on 12/9/19 9:57 pm - Warren, OH

My instructions were pretty simple. Don't eat anything white. No bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, cookies, cake, sugar or flour. I also had to give up Diet Coke.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Miss150
on 12/10/19 6:46 am, edited 12/9/19 10:47 pm

Some good advise found above. Don?t neglect the water! Work your way up to at least 64 oz- many aim for the 90s. Hydration is necessary to weight loss. You may be advised after surgery not to drink during meals. Practice that, too.

In fact, begin incorporating changes required after WLS now. Act as if...as if, right now you weighed what you want to weigh at goal. All of the foods that you are eating now that keep you heavy and unhappy now?-you WILL be able (sooner than you know) to eat after surgery. They are called slider foods.

It is attitude, mindset, perseverance, discipline and courage that will see you through to goal. Practice those things now- They will see you through. Good luck- I?m rooting for you.

If not now, when? If not you, who? These next 6 months are not a wasted time--they are a gift and OPPORTUNITY to prepare and practice- a proper part of the process.

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

ashleypollara
on 12/10/19 7:26 am

Thank you for the advice! I will not see a dietitian right away only if they feel I need to lose more than I do faster.

Janet P.
on 12/10/19 12:57 pm

Start reading labels and learning about the food you're putting in your body. I would suggest starting to track your carb and fat intake. Realize how much you're eating and learn to start limiting or eliminating certain foods that you have issues with. Learn what your trigger foods are - do you have issues with sweets or carbs or fats?

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

MizzzCee
on 12/13/19 2:33 am
DS on 12/17/18

For me, the first thing I did was give up carbonated beverages. I even remember having my last Diet Coke on the way home from my first prebariatric surgery class. I then began drinking iced tea with Splenda or straight iced water. Lots of water. You'll also need to wean yourself off caffeine as it's off limits after surgery (I believe for 6 months after surgery) and it's better to break the addiction and undergo the caffeine withdrawal while you're up and mobile vice immediately recovering postop.

As for food, I began eating way more salads and grilled meats, less sandwiches and pizza. I think I lost around 15 lbs n the 6 months between starting the process and having the DS.

Most Active