What is one thing you are exceptional at when it comes to your WLS lifestyle?

notdamomma
on 2/5/20 7:38 am

I have shared with you that I never really used this site as I should have when I first had surgery and when I started having regain I came back. I have been on track and doing really well and I can see that I've become more adept at planning and prepping my meals which has kept me on track and enabled me to lose some of the regain so far. I plan on staying on this path after I am at goal again so I can maintain, once again.

What is something YOU are good at that allows you to have a more successful post op life (doesn't have to be only for those at goal)?

lynnc99
on 2/5/20 9:52 am

For over 10 years I've been good at....

1. Taking my vitamins

2. Figuring out what to eat in a restaurant

3. Backing that up a step - advocating for myself in a group when it comes to choosing a restaurant that has a menu I can enjoy (skip Chinese and Italian for the most part, but go for the steakhouse or seafood place)

4. Protein first and getting in my daily protein allotment

notdamomma
on 2/6/20 6:24 am

I must do better to advocate for myself when it comes to eating out. Many times I am the odd one and have to adjust to THEIR demands, but I will work on that. thanks for sharing!!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/5/20 11:24 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I've been good at finding exercise that I actually enjoy, as opposed to forcing myself to do something I hate. When it's something I like, I'm much more inclined to keep it up!

I got into cycling shortly after my VSG 6 years ago. Today, I'm training to do a 100 mile fundraiser ride at the end of March.

I love swimming, and I swim laps once or twice a week. Between swimming and biking, I'm training for my second triathlon this May.

I also play roller derby and have skate practice a few times a week, plus strength training for that when I can fit it into my schedule.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

notdamomma
on 2/6/20 6:27 am

I roller skated a lot as a kid/teen and I would love to get back to that. I think it is awesome you are doing roller derby. I used to think that roller derby was like wrestling staged for entertainment and I am sure yours is not like that. More for competition than anything else. Swimming is one of my favorite things to do it is just too cold here right now.

on 2/6/20 7:05 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Yup, modern roller derby is definitely a full sport! There are definite rules about how you can hit, where you can land a hit on your opponents, stuff like that, and there are referees to call penalties and keep everybody safe.

If you like skating, you should totally pick up a pair and hit the rink, or get some soft wheels and skate outside when it warms up! I have a pair of skates that I use on the paved trails around my city, I'll go and skate four or five miles on my lunch break and it's amazing. Check out Moxi brand skates, they're really cute and high quality and they come in all sorts of fun colors.

notdamomma
on 2/6/20 8:21 am

I will definitely check them out I used to roller skate about 15 hours a week with the majority of it being on the weekends. I had the best leg muscles then I got heavy. I think I will make getting back on skates a goal. I do wish I had the ability to skate outside where I am but I do not. You're very lucky to live in a city that you can do that on your lunch. Are you in a big city if I may ask? I wondered about your comment on paved trails. The most I could do would be a park with a paved pathway but they forbid anything but walking on those here.

on 2/6/20 8:29 am
RNY on 08/05/19

What a fabulous goal, I love it! Our derby team has players of all sizes, so you can absolutely skate at any weight! Plus, a pair of cute roller skates is also a really great way to reward yourself for your progress! I have a pair of these, with black studded suede toe covers.

I live in Tucson, and we have a network of paths called "The Loop." They're multi-use, so designed for biking, running, skating, and even horseback riding, and there are over 100 miles of path around the city. A couple of weeks ago I basically rode in a big circle around town and did 61 miles and it was almost completely off the street and away from traffic.

notdamomma
on 2/6/20 9:32 am

I love those skates!! Brings back so many memories from my childhood. :) I had two pairs of skates and absolutely loved them both. I tried inline skates several years ago and even though I can ice skate the inline skates were not for me. I did not like them one bit.

What a beautiful place to live and have access to trails and scenery. I'm jealous. It is cold here and I hate the cold. I seriously need to move. I will keep you updated on my goal of getting back to roller skating thank you for the encouraging idea!

Partlypollyanna
on 2/5/20 1:06 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

Hydration, avoiding white carbs and varying exercise so I do it..and sometimes even like it!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Most Active