Off Topic: The dreaded flu shot!

TJFox
on 10/15/20 6:59 am

As the caretaker for my father, I feel like I have no choice but to get the flu shot but every single time I get the shot, I get sick not long after. I don't know why but I do. Does this happen to anyone else? Even though I don't get out very often and no one is able to come visit due to the virus, I still feel like it's best that I get it. If it were just me, I wouldn't ever take the flu shot again!

White Dove
on 10/15/20 9:28 am - Warren, OH

I have taken a flu shot every year since they were available to the public in the 1970's. I used to see people be sick with flu for weeks every year and some of them would die. I have never gotten sick and only had a sore arm once or twice. But I never got the flu again after I started taking the shots.

There may be something in the shot that makes you sick. I know that people who are allergic to eggs have a problem. It might be worth discussing with your doctor to see if there is something you need to do to prevent getting sick from the shot. If you are under 49 years of age, you might do better with the spray instead of the shot.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

TJFox
on 10/15/20 12:26 pm

I have never even heard of a flu spray. Now that you mention it, I have heard that some people who have specific allergies have bad reactions.(As far as I know, I am only allergic to mussels.) I always go get my shot at the pharmacy so I never think to ask about it when I see the doctor. I will have to make a note to myself in my phone to ask about it. I am glad it has been a good thing for you.

Partlypollyanna
on 10/15/20 10:17 am
RNY on 02/14/18

I don't dread the flu shot. I dread the flu.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

TJFox
on 10/15/20 12:28 pm

Good point. I don't get as sick as I probably would with the flu but it sure does something to affect me.

Melody P.
on 10/15/20 11:56 am - Amarillo, TX

I never had the flu shot until I got the flu. I felt like I had died and came back as a zombie. It was the sickest I've ever felt. I gladly get the shot now.

TJFox
on 10/15/20 12:31 pm

That must have been awful to go through. It's been a long time since I had the flu so maybe I am conveniently forgetting just how bad it can be.

Christina135
on 10/15/20 12:44 pm

I hadn't had the flu shot in 20 years. I am not an anti-vaxxer, but I never believed in the flu shot.

This year, I got the flu. I had type B, and it is the sickest I have ever been in my adult life. I was in bed for a week, and had a horrendous cough and exhaustion for two weeks after.

I got the flu shot two weeks ago. We are facing a pandemic, and I don't want to possibly contract the flu again, have a weakened immune system and then contract COVID. That would spell disaster.

In this situation, I think you absolutely are making the right choice in getting the flu shot. I will make sure to get mine every year going forward.

Christina

Let it begin with me.

03/2009 - SW:261 GW 135 (CW:131)

TJFox
on 10/22/20 5:58 am

Sorry to hear you got so sick! I did finally get my flu shot and am doing ok. Just the regular sore arm so far.

goddessgrrl
on 10/16/20 3:55 am - VA

I've only gotten sick once and I've gotten my flu shot every year for decades. I got my most recent one on 9/26/2020 and I have had no ill effects! Keep us posted!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Most Active