Best broths or anything for liquid diet?

Chacha831
on 10/19/20 8:36 am

Need pre surgery advice. What broths or liquids do you recommend? I only know of Swanson chicken broth. It has been my go to when I am sick put its pretty salty.

(deactivated member)
on 10/20/20 4:03 am, edited 10/19/20 9:04 pm
RNY on 01/01/14

Organic low sodium chicken broth . Sometimes I spike it with 1/2 a knorrs cube for extra flavor . I add carrots and fresh peas at the last three minutes for something to bite .

Trader joes sells really good frozen French Onion soup. Nothing wrong with it except the cheese which is easy to remove.

You can make your own French Onion soup by stirring ****il golden) about 4-5 large diced onions in a bit of sesame oil- takes like 15 minutes - watch TV ! don't let them burn the taste won't be right. Add beef stock ( organic is best ) and my hack- some Au Jus from Arbys . It costs like 45 cents for a container and the flavor punch is amazing.

I also make delicious homemade stock from fresh rotissierie chicken bones. I just take off the meat and throw the skin and carcass into a big stock pot with a cut up onion, some celery , some carrots and a few bay leaves and let it cook for a few hours .

Wonderful base for all kinds of soups - fat free Thai coconut curry... fat free cream of pumpkin or mushroom...I add macaroni n cheese powder ( from the cheapest boxes of Mac n cheese - throw out the pasta ) and fat free milk ( and a bit of potato starch to thicken) to make a base for fat free cream of broccoli or cauliflower cheese soup...

Chacha831
on 10/20/20 6:19 am

Thanks for your great tips!

TheWombat
on 10/20/20 7:26 am
VSG on 06/11/18

Also, don't stock up on lots of food (protein drinks, broths, etc.) before surgery. Your tastes will change after surgery, at least for a while. The shake or broth that you loved before surgery may taste weird to you afterward. You'll be well enough for a short shopping trip a few days after surgery if someone else drives, and you can pick up more supplies then.

One thing that I really liked after surgery was pureed fruit sauces (apple, peach, pear, etc.) with nothing else added. You may find it near the baby food, but it's not just for babies. In my experience, simple, minimally processed foods were the only things that tasted "normal" right after surgery. Everything else tasted too "rich" or overwhelming.

LezetteChristineMua
on 10/29/20 10:22 am
VSG on 12/11/17

Hey There,

I loved the making a homemade vegetable broth, I start by chopping the onions, carrots, celery and tomatoes into chunks and placing them along with the garlic onto a baking sheet tossed with the olive oil and roasting at 425 until nicely brown about 25 minutes then I remove from oven and toss them in instapot making sure to scrape all the browned bits of goodness and then add mushrooms, parsley, thyme and water set on low pressure for 20 minutes. After that it stays on keep warm setting and will be good in the fridge for about 3 days. You can also put it in small containers or baggies and freeze in small portions to use at a later time which is great for grab and go later as the recipe makes a lot!

1 lb carrots, 1lb onions, 1/2lb celery, 1lb tomatoes, 4 cloves of garlic, 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil 8 oz fresh mushrooms Fresh Parsley half a bunch 1 tsp of salt(optional) 12 cups of water

It is pretty easy for me especially these days with an instapot :)

For me the best thing after surgery for my protein was Unjury Chicken Soup flavor Protein, I got so sick of the sweet, sweet, sweet that the savory warmth was so comforting. Here I am almost 3 years post op and I still enjoy it. If you find it salty you can use 1/2 unflavored to 1/2 Chicken and still get in the protein. Also you can add the Unflavored to just about anything besides water and it will give you the 21 grams of Whey Protein Isolate our bariatric surgeons want us to have. Other liquids I found helpful were the Crystal Light Fruit Punch everyone recommends the Lemonade but I prefer the Punch. Also there are other Sugar Free options now as well made by Crush there's orange, pineapple, watermelon, strawberry and grape. I made a lot of those into Zipsicles which are these little baggies you can buy off of Amazon and make your own popsicles. I found those a great way to even make my "SF Jello Pudding Protein Pops" Depending on your surgeons requirements you may be able to have some of those options "Pre-Op" Wish you all the best and feel free to reach out with any questions. There are a lot of us on here who understand the struggles and have walked in the same shoes, maybe not identical but similar enough that we can help. Spread Kindness Like Glitter Lezette Christine Mua

Chacha831
on 1/27/21 6:31 am

I some how missed your post Lezette!. Thank you for posting your homemade broth recipe and for the Unjury and liquids information.

Most Active