Not losing weight on liquid diet

Quil
on 11/17/20 8:59 pm

Hello. I am new here found this while googling questions about bariatric surgery. History - I am already seeing a surgeon and nutritionist, I am hoping to get the sleeve. I have done all the requirements to qualify for the surgery except one. Lose 40lbs. Since august I have only lose 12 lbs. after going 1200 calorie diet low carb high protein.

At my last weight in I was told to go ahead and start the all liquid diet. Protein shakes(premier protein low carb, slim fast low carb/keto), water, low sodium broth, sugar free jello. The two weeks is up this Friday and according to my scale at home I have only lost 3 lbs. I feel so defeated right now. They won't even schedule the surgery untill I lose those 40lbs. Like my whole life I have had trouble losing weight. I take no medication and have no illnesses besides weighting in at 360lbs. All my lab work comes back text book. The only issue is my weight. Plus to add stress work will change over insurance companies come February and I am not sure if they will cover the sleeve anymore.

Has anyone else been in this situation? I am so lost and feel so defeated. I just need some advice on what to do next. My mother is trying to get me to try this supplemental pills she is taking (fat burner and carb blocker). In 3 week she lost 16lbs. But I want to do things the right way so the weight will stay off. Sorry if this post is all over the place. I don't really have anyone to talk to about this.

(deactivated member)
on 11/18/20 5:34 am
RNY on 01/01/14

I had the same requirement not from the insurance but from my surgeon. Yes its a true PITA.

This is what I did - I exercised twice a day , first when I got up and later in the afternoon if I had time.

I found something I enjoyed ( usually walking or rollerblading ) and got out there every morning except when the weather was awful and committed to doing 15 minutes to a half hour . If I wasn't enjoying myself then ( of course I took a radio and headphones and wore cute workout clothes and comfy sneakers ) then I'd go home but 90% of the time I continued for at least an hour .

I drank a TON of water and tea to flush my system out and ate a lot of salads with fat free dressing , snacked on " free" veggies like roasted Brussels sprouts and a ton of air popped popcorn ( I recommend buying a old-fashioned stir popcorn maker from Walmart - 29.99 because it toasts the kernels giving the popcorn a lot more flavor minus any fat ) and of course forced down my protein shakes made with skim milk.

Keto doesn't work for many women due to female hormones - I chose to eat totally fat free and other than a very light dinner heavy on the protein ( usually fish ) I stuck to the prescribed shakes .

Yep it isn't easy . Your surgeon wants you to do it to prove you won't be in the 50% of WLS patients *****gain all their weight because they refuse to comply with their tools restrictions and change their diet and habits.

But since you're going to have to do it post op ANYWAY you CAN do one last diet now ...

White Dove
on 11/19/20 3:32 am - Warren, OH

Don't worry too much about doing it the right way so the weight will stay off. The weight does not stay off or we would not have weight loss surgery. What I did for six months was give up all white foods. Nothing with flour, sugar, potatoes, rice, or cereals. I ate lean protein and non-starchy vegetables. I also gave up caffeine. I drank gallons of water and exercised for at least an hour a day.

I used salt substitutes instead of salt and had a lot of Mrs Dash bottles. It was not that hard after the first week. The idea is to get to a good weight for surgery and then get the surgery done so you have a tool to keep the weight off permanently.

Protein shakes do not work for me. I do much better with a nice piece of steak and a big salad with low calorie dressing. I did the liquid diet but without protein shakes. Just the broth, sugarfree drinks, sugarfree jello, and water for one week before my surgery. I lost ten pounds that week. It put me in a good place for the surgery.

After surgery, there was no withdrawal. I had been eating high protein, low carb, and no caffeine already. The only difference was that after surgery I was full on very tiny amounts of food. I continued with exercise and water and the weight came off very easily.

I would suggest you try a week of clear, sugarfree liquids without any milk or protein shakes. You will not develop a protein deficiency in a week and you can see how that works for you.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 11/19/20 11:55 pm, edited 11/29/20 8:20 pm

I have been on that diet too lately, and I think it does not work for me either.... Thank you for the thread, it was really interesting to read about your experience. What do you think about some weight loss aids? Do you think they are good and working? I saw some on Canada Drugs, for example, and I am thinking about ordering some from there. Thank you a lot in advance for any replies here :)

Sileten
on 2/17/21 5:29 am

I think that you should consult the doctor before taking those pills. Anyway, have you tried the keto diet?

Sileten
on 6/15/21 3:34 am, edited 6/14/21 8:35 pm
On February 17, 2021 at 1:29 PM Pacific Time, Sileten wrote:

I think that you should consult the doctor before taking those pills. Anyway, have you tried the keto diet?

Many people say that this diet is something special. Maybe because of the daily routine it has. The worst I saw it's that people are working on themselves and can't improve. I had the same problem, so I had to visit the doctor. There they told me that I should try and make my daily routine. So, I looked for a site and found Bethlehem PA. Now, I'm improving day by day.

Acenand
on 2/17/21 5:39 am, edited 2/18/21 9:34 pm

I know what you are talking about. This liquid diet didn't work for me either. I guess, you have to reduce the amount of calories. There is no reason to switch to a liquid diet if the calories intake is high. Also, I wouldn't take the fat burner pills unless I consult a doctor. It may be really dangerous for your health. You better start a ketogenic diet. It is the most efficient method for rapid weight loss. After only one week, I've seen a significant drop in weight. Also, try to keep to the low-carb keto recipes, if you want to see great results. Good luck! Hope you'll achieve your goal!

Most Active