Alcohol after surgery

Erin T.
on 7/2/21 8:06 am
VSG on 01/17/17

I was a year or more out - which for me was well past goal. I now have wine on occasion and my "glass of wine" is about 2 fingers in the bottom. I am normally shocked when I order a glass out of the house and realize what a full glass of wine looks like. There's an increased risk of transfer addiction, so no matter when you start you have to be careful.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

LeonaCR
on 7/6/21 7:54 am

I think with all of the posts and insights, I better stay away from any wine. Transfer addiction is the last thing I need and not worth the risk.

(deactivated member)
on 7/2/21 1:30 pm
RNY on 01/01/14

I literally never drank before WLS .

Afterwards, during the ( intense extra food withdrawal ) and " liquid diet " stage I tried having a few sips of red wine which like overnight turned into a daily dependence and even addiction.

Transfer addiction is very real and also dangerous. Both to our health and our relationships....

I'm much healthier, lighter and better looking when I don't drink .

LeonaCR
on 7/6/21 7:57 am

Thanks for your post. I am not going to take the transfer addiction risk!

Deb366
on 7/5/21 9:22 am
I really don't drink at all, but yes, I can feel a couple of sips. Please be careful, I have had at least one friend get a cross addition to alcohol and she died at 42 from drinking. I couldn't believe it was possible but I guess having the RNY made it impact her body more? I agree with everything the previous poster said. Don't drink at all and drive, even on a small amount you could be impaired and test as above the legal limit. If you do drink, be with people you trust so you aren't taken advantage of. The other issue about drinking is that it could impair your decisions about what to eat. If you want to be successful....follow the food and drinking rules....best of luck to you on the journey!

Currently 125  pounds
LeonaCR
on 7/6/21 7:59 am

Thank you very much for your post. You and all of the others who have posted have made it very clear to me that alcohol isn't a risk I can take now that I am post op.

Queen JB
on 7/5/21 11:42 am
RNY on 07/20/15

I didn't start having anything until I hit goal. I wish I never started--too many empty calories and a really narrow window between feeling buzzed to being drunk.

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

LeonaCR
on 7/6/21 8:00 am

I am not going to even take a sip now that I have read all of the posts!

sweetpotato1959
on 7/5/21 2:18 pm, edited 7/5/21 7:18 am

LeonaCR, I was never a drinker... only got alcohol in medications- and rarely...always could take a regular dose of one and then take care of final matters , usually before bed...

Now i can smell of alcohol products and get drunk.

I have had to reduce any alcohol intakes to minimum.. i cut amounts of adult doses to half the recommended, and must be sitting on bed to take that amount.. (if I MUST take them..) Ide-alcohol tinctures that are used for health reasons..( by putting dose in very warm water and stirring vigorously.)

Be prepared for any alcohol to immediately be absorbed.. and never take it in on an empty stomach... Your insides will thank you for it.- you may not have enough material in there to remake it if you get an ulcer.

LeonaCR
on 7/6/21 8:02 am

Thank you for sharing you experience...I have decided that I don't want to take the risk of transfer addiction.

Most Active