What are some easy exercise I can do weight over 500 pounds,

dragracingwife
on 1/16/22 8:27 am

What are some easy exercise I can do weight over 500 pounds, I have hard time walking and moving. I just want to know what are some exercises I can do to improve my health.

(deactivated member)
on 1/16/22 8:48 am, edited 1/16/22 1:05 am
RNY on 09/01/12

Walk ! Im totally serious Babe its absolutely th best exercise you can do .

Your hips your knees are set up 2 help U . Theyre super strong .

Even a ten minute walk will REALLY help U to stay healthy and lose amazing amounts of excess weight! ((()))hugs

White Dove
on 1/16/22 8:52 am - Warren, OH

I find exercise in a swimming pool the most helpful. Since I am afraid of the community pools with COVID, I have switched to a Nordic Track recumbent bike with the iFit program. It is great exercise and does not leave any sore muscles.

Get the largest screen that they offer and buy the iFit package. Consider it an investment in your future health. I bought the R35 with the 14" screen. I would have liked a bigger screen and really glad I did not try to save and buy the 7" screen. The iFit programs have beautiful scenery and trainer adjusts the resistance level to match the ride. When you are going uphill, there is more resistance then going downhill. It will adjust to your fitness level and make the ride fun and enjoyable.

Nordic Track offered same as cash financing for 39 months. I ended up with a $70 per month payment. That included iFit, in home assembly and in home service package.

Nordic Track R35

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Kathleen W.
on 1/16/22 9:27 am - Lancaster, PA

There are some good ideas mentioned here. Just start easy so you don't overdo it. Also, don't come down hard on yourself. It's the beginning stages of your journey and you're a work in progress.

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

Jmm4321
on 1/16/22 10:38 pm

I'm 8 years into the wls surgery journey and I exercise daily. My go to is, and always will be, simple walking steps. Any number of steps, and just add a few more over time.

Kathleen W.
on 1/17/22 2:42 am - Lancaster, PA

I do the same thing. The only person that I have to be better than is the person I was yesterday. Adding a couple of extra steps a day is doable and adds up to miles over time.

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

Alexpope
on 1/17/22 7:54 am
RNY on 10/21/20

Like you, I was well over 400 lbs and I had issues with walking. The pain it caused was hard and my doctor told me to refrain from putting too much stress on my knees and ankles until I could get to a weight that enabled me to stand and walk for longer periods of time without pain. So I would totally disagree with the one reply that you should walk.I KNOW how hard that is. My surgeon told me to do things that would get my heart rate up, but not put a lot of stress on my knees and ankles. Those included chair exercises. I used resistance bands for both upper and lower bodies while sitting in a chair. I also was very lucky to have access to a pool so I spent a lot of time walking and then swimming in the pool. I would highly recommend the chair exercises with a resistance band. You can find some videos on youtube that are specifically for that or you can just pump up the music and go at it. Once you start losing weight you should be able to go longer and then start incorporating some minimal walking to see how your lower body handles that.

White Dove
on 1/17/22 8:15 am - Warren, OH

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I used to walk five miles at a time. It was fun and enjoyable. But as I got older it became harder to walk and my feet, legs, knees, and ankles et sore. I start to feel out of breath and want to sit down and rest.

The swimming pool and now recumbent bike have made exercise fun and pain free for me again. When people advise others that walking is the best exercise, they are correct if walking does not hurt. When an exercise routine causes pain, it is always abandoned.

Even though I am within 10 pounds of my goal weight, my body is older and I had to make the adjustments needed to keep exercising and not be in pain.

Alexpope
on 1/17/22 3:46 pm
RNY on 10/21/20

whitedove, those are all very valid points. As we get older bones deteoriate but as we get heavier the joints too and my surgeon was adamant if it hurt hold off until it didn't. I think walking is excellent exercise but I am almost 100% sure it would be difficult for someone in a super morbid category like myself. I will have to check out a recumbent bike. Its too cold to walk right now.

White Dove
on 1/18/22 7:22 am - Warren, OH

I am so happy with mine. It was a lot of money, but I compared it to what I spend on a car and decided my health was worth it.

Most Active