Been Far too long since I have been in here

odiej
on 3/10/23 10:00 am - Kamloops, Canada

Hello Everyone,

I had RNY done in 2007. At my highest I was just over 400lbs. I did great with my weight loss and keeping it off until a couple years ago. I suffer from multiple health issues and the biggest one being CRPS so it is hard to get around somedays.

My happy weight was 150 and I stayed right around there until 2019 when my life got pretty terrible. I am now sitting at a very unhappy 180lbs and I am suffering both mentally and physically. I recently started a exercise program and boy somedays it puts me in tears, but I am not giving up. My depression has gotten to an all time high and I need some help I think, by those who have been through the surgery. People say they understand but they really dont

So my big question is how many of you have done a pouch reset and what are some "diets" meal plans are you following.

White Dove
on 3/10/23 12:51 pm - Warren, OH

I had RNY in October 2007. My goal is 136 and I stayed there or lower easily for first ten years. Then started to gain a few pounds a year and one day was at 165. I joined Weigh****chers. It was during pandemic and I did all my meetings online. It took a long time as in years but I reached my goal again last summer and have kept from regaining.

My regain was 100% caused by eating too many calories. I love WW plan. I can have any food as lon as I stay in my points. I attended meetings every single day. After RNY the only way to lose is to eat less food. Exercise does not make a difference for me at all. I highly recommend their program both for the food freedom and all the education and support from their meetings. They truly know how to help you lose weight.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

odiej
on 3/10/23 1:15 pm - Kamloops, Canada

I can still only eat maybe a cup of food at a time. So the quantity isn't the problem it's my choice that is the problem. Up until 2019 I could eat maybe a piece of toast with one egg. Now I can eat my egg on toast with an extra piece of toast if I am stuffing myself.

I was blessed with dumping syndrome so I can't eat a bunch of sweet stuff at one time. I may look into WW to see about that. Thank You.

White Dove
on 3/10/23 4:04 pm - Warren, OH

One extra slice of toast a day will add about 100 calories. If you add butter or jelly, might be adding 300 calories. It takes a woman 10 calories a day to maintain or add a pound of body weight. So that extra slice could add 10, 20, or 30 pounds by the end of a year. The secret is to eat less calories or with WW less points.

Lisa G.
on 3/10/23 1:56 pm - Louisville (southern Indiana Actually), KY

Hey there!! I was in the same boat! I had my RNY on 9.29.2011. Lost 70 lbs (original weight was 252), then lost another 10. I've fluctuated between 165-175, fighting to lost the last 30 lbs. I had gotten back up to 180 recently and was battling depression when I found a program called Optavia. My coach is an old high school/church acquaintance and let me tell you, it has changed my whole outlook. I started on 2.20.23 at 180 and am down to 168.2 as of 3.6.23 ( I weigh every Monday). I have so much energy now, and so many less aches that I've stopped some of my arthritis meds. My outlook has improved so much! I do NOT crave sugary thing now, it is just simply amazing me. I'm not one to jump into things, and I've been watching this program for over a year now, following others that are on it. This may not be for you, I'm just throwing it out there. But you CAN do this, we've done it before!!! Do NOT let depression control you-you have the power over your feelings and your life! We can't allow our surroundings or our others affect our dispositions and outlooks, no one has that power. I'm sure you have done amazing things-focus on those! Write down your thoughts, what you did when you were feeling your best! You can get back on track, I'm praying for you!!!

Sleep Tight, America
   PROUD ARMY MOM
   My Sons Have Your Back

White Dove
on 3/10/23 4:12 pm - Warren, OH

Congratulations on your success. It is so important to find and follow the program that works for you. Surgery does the trick for the first few years but after that it is making sure you are eating less than you are burning.

Cautiously_Hopeful
on 3/11/23 7:47 am
WLS on 07/15/22

Welcome back!

I don't have advice but I've read a ton of stuff here relating to regain and resets (and whether they work or not). Most of the stories I've seen do tend toward a back to the basics approach of eating dense protein first, and slowly, until your hunger cues kick in. And cutting out carbs.

White Dove also has great advice and feedback. :) hope you find a process that works for you!

HW 282, LW 123.4 (8/29/23), CW 144.4

Pre-op-33, M1-12, M2-17, M3-14, M4-11, M5-14, M6-5, M7-6, M8-5, M9-22, M10-6, M11-5, M12-2, M13-2, M14-5

Louisiannie
on 3/14/23 5:19 pm - LA

Me, too!

I started trying to lose the weight I gained after surgery. I did it because I was ON A WALKER!

i went to my doctor to get a SHOT for the pain. "Mo, ma'am! You are going to physical therapy."

Well, ****fire! I tried every diet, and then surgery. But EXERCISE? ?

They got me on my feet. Got rid of my limp - which was in my head! ? And got me in the gym.

yeah. Then the pandemic. So I stayed home for a year and a half. Gained the COVID-35.

Every time I tried to go back to the gym, a new mutation broke out, I finally made exercise a part of my routine.

I only weighed at the doctor's office, and one day my doctor complimented me on losing weight.

Wait! What? ?

Nothing succeeds like success.

I'm doing Keto now, but this is the first week I plateaued One more week, and then I'll be looking for a change. Im also back in 12-step, which was my first success back before surgery.

I'm finally ready to do whatever it takes.

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/18/23 10:09 am

Pouch reset is really a bs type stuff. But if it would help you, do it.

For me personally- counting calories never worked. What works for me is a clean Keto type diet combined with intermittent fasting. Unfortunately it's a slow process. Exercise can help with blood circulation, overall health, but in reality, eating, proper for you diet contributes to90% of the weight loss.

Clean as real food, some fat and low carb veggies. After eating like that for 2 weeks - my pouch starts showing real restrictions in qty I can eat. When doing Keto yo lose weight- getting protein is important, plus making sure you don't get too much fat - you want to burn your own fat. I can't count " net carbs" but I need to count all carbs. Some fiber, SA, etc actually get converted into BS in my body and kick me out of ketosis. (I have a bs/ ketones meter). I eat when I'm hungry, trying to eat slowly, so my body can register full signal. IF I'm hungry in between meals - I just eat more proteins with some fat.

When I eat "whatever" including breaks and sweets - my pouch loses the restrictions. I'm not sure if it's because of insulin or sugars or because "the whatever foods" are more slider foods.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/18/23 10:24 am

To add:

Sometimes depression can be caused or made worse due to vitamin/minerals deficiencies. Some like lowering, low B12, low B1, low b6 or too high b6, etc - can really cause depression. Not sure when you ad your last bloodwork, but it may be a good time to get it checked.

On top of that, hormonal imbalances or low hormones may lead to depression, food cravings and weight gain.

I have pituitary issues so my hormonal glands don't get stimulating enough so I have to be on Rx supplemental hormones. Last year was difficult because my thyroid was flaking on me, and it was borderline low normal. This year in January my endocrinologist finally decided to write me a script for synthroid. My T4 and T3 were low enough for her ( and me) to finally admit I probably need this. Before the meds, I could sleep 12 hours, I was tired all the time, and even though I was on a good diet, I was not losing the weight as I should.

After a month on the synthroid (thyroid hormone) my body suddenly dropped 4 lbs.

I've bedn on a clean keto diet since November and until recently I would lose 1lb every 2 months.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active