What is plus sized? Rant.

1crazy_cat_lady
on 3/12/13 1:41 pm - Winnipeg, Canada

Soooooooooooo

I belong to a local plus sized auction site in hopes that as I lose (and regain angel) I can get sizes cheap.  So today a shirt was posted that was listed a "Large (11/12)".  I commented that 11/12 is not a plus size.  The poster then comments she is a professional plus sized model and 12 is plus, and if I don't fit plus, don't bid.  So trying to be the bigger person (pun intended) I acquiesed but asked the moderator if they take 12 as plus.  I was told that it is well researched that 12 is plus sized.  So I responded that I understand that you have to appeal to the masses but that I find it a sad state that the media has convinced women that 12 is plus.  I am aware that the moderator has had WLS and said, I'm sure you can understand from your larger days (she would have belonged in this group at starting weight) that when you can only fit clothes from one store, calling 12 plus can be insulting.

She responded by saying that maybe when I finish my program and lose some weight maybe then I will have a different perception.

WHAT?!

I am uber offended.  I know it takes all kinds to make the world go round but really?  She doesn't know me, so maybe she thinks that when I'm lighter I'll become a fat nazi.  I'm likely going to quit the group because I don't agree with the message but I want to think about it (without obsessing) before I make a decision.

I want to be accountable and if you all are around when I'm at goal, if I get disillusioned that a 2-digit tag means "fat", any of you have my permission to shoot me.

Nikkal
on 3/12/13 4:37 pm
VSG on 07/18/13

well - when I was a teen, 16 was the start of plus size.  However, we didn't have size zero in the 80s...sizing was all a lot closer to sewing pattern sizing back then compared to now, where standard sizing is out the window...

so, what they call a 12 now is what a 16-18 was in 1986, so I suppose in some way, shape or form, it's "plus sized"

but hell, if Avenue or Lane Bryant don't sell it, it ain't plus sized :)  They start at 14, right?

talula216
on 3/12/13 10:11 pm - RI
RNY on 01/16/12

The day I reach  a size 12 no way on this green earth would I consider myself Plus size.   To me even a 14 is a stretch.    But if your getting good buys on the site.  I wouldn't leave it.  I know it can be aggravating when some one who is of average size thinks there fat.  I work with a few skinny minis who are always saying there fat.  I always wanted to lift my shirt and say to them.  you want to see fat I will show you fat. 

Talula
Starting weight 369

Phatchick
on 3/12/13 11:36 pm - Brookfield, IL
VSG on 04/16/12

That moderator is a witch!

My goal is to be a size 12. If that is plus...the world is damned. 

Those two bimbos do not know what plus is. Dont be insulted because they are 2 ignorant biotches!

Hugs,

Sharon

Oxford Comma Hag
on 3/13/13 3:06 am

It is sadly true that for models in their professional capacity, they are considered plus size if they are a 12. But that is the modeling world, where runway models are often a size 2 at nearly six feet tall.

So I don't consider a size 12 a plus size. I am a 14 now and a 12 in some things. If I go into a plus size section, the clothes are too big. I get clothes in the misses section now.

I wouldn't be part of that group anymore. They sound self righteous and judgmental, and who needs that BS?

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

1crazy_cat_lady
on 3/13/13 3:12 am - Winnipeg, Canada

Thanks ladies.  I have to be honest and acknowledge my vehement reaction is partially because I'm a size 28/30 and it IS insulting to be told a 12 is plus sized.  That is why I post in this forum and not others, because I do have difficulties listening to women complain about being 200 pounds and needing WLS.  Hey lady, I need to lose YOU to be healthy.  **sigh** 

I've decided to take Talula's advice and stay on the site however I am unfriending the moderator which may lead her to boot me off.  I had changed my status to say that 12 being plus sized in bull **** and the media sucks.  She posted on my status this morning, clearly took my status as personal and posted a bunch of info on how 12 is plus sized.  Can't change the world but that doesn't mean I won't stop trying.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 3/13/13 5:18 am

Completely feel your aggravation with this. There was a post on the RnY board yesterday in which a member said that if one is shorter than 5'9" and weighs more than 170 pounds then one still looks fat. Of course I questioned the poster about his thoughts on this. He said in a roundabout way he was telling people not to settle, which is fine; but making a blanket statement about weight with no context invalidates someone's loss, IMO.

And I wasn't necessarily offended so much as questioning the cookie cutter mentality of us all being a certain size or shape. Success is defined by the individual, not the masses. I also pointed out that if we are all saying we had surgery to get healthy but then judge someone on size, aren't we really just giving lip service to the party line about health and we apparently don't mean it?

Someone objected to his use of the word fat, but that wasn't the problem for me. The problem was the statement that my goal was 'still fat' and therefore by inference not as worthy or acceptable as someone else's, especially if that someone else has a goal of say, 130.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

1crazy_cat_lady
on 3/13/13 2:01 pm - Winnipeg, Canada

EXACTLY!  My goal has always been the attitude that I want to be a 16 so that I can shop in 90% of stores so by saying a 12 is plus sized, I was like WTF?

acbbrown
on 3/13/13 6:12 am - Granada Hills, CA

One plus sized ***** standing up over here!!

**** 200+ lbs later, plastic surgery and a flat(ish) stomach, and someone wants to call me plus size - that's crazy.

It's all a matter of comparison - when I shop in the jrs sections, Ive gotta take the biggest size. Maybe I'm plus size there? My pants are all 12s but most of my tops are S/M soooo I can't consider myself plus size despite the number "12" on my pants....

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

1crazy_cat_lady
on 3/13/13 2:04 pm - Winnipeg, Canada

You're my FAVORITE *****   Even if you don't feel it right now, that post screams SSB.

Most Active