seriously thinking about revising to the DS

smile750
on 5/21/11 12:08 pm - Bridgewater, NJ
I had RNY back in 2002 and was successful for the first 4 years post op but have steadily gained back about 70 lbs of the 120 I lost initially.  Granted I had two babies (now 4 and 6) in between so my weight was up and down, but after the 2nd baby back in 2006, it has been impossible for me to keep the weight off consistently.  Dr. Roslin's article/press release out recently described what I had been feeling/experiencing for some time now - I eat a meal, have a feeling of fullness for a short time then an hour later I'm hungry again.  Just a small serving of carbs can make me sleepy and too much sugar makes me dump.  My pouch and stoma are stretched - I know this because I qualified for the ROSE procedure in a clinical study back in 2008 and that failed of course - just a couple of months later the sutures/anchors just dropped out and I was back to fluids and food just sailing through.

The more I think about what the future holds for me, the more I lean towards a revision.  I think, "Is it realistic to just suppress these feelings of hunger contstantly after eating?" 

I've made two calls to meet with two different surgeons in my area - Dr. Greenbaum in NJ and Dr. Roslin in NY (though if I'm a candidate and he could do it laprascopically I'd go to Roslin).  I'm registered for the info session with Dr. Roslin on June 7.  I've started getting all my medical records together from the original RNY, the ROSE, my endoscopies showing the large pouch and stoma, and the swallow tests at the radiologists.  Hoping my Horizon BCBS of NJ covers the revision (though had no problem with original surgery).
beemerbeeper
on 5/21/11 12:20 pm - AL
Welcome to the forum!  Good luck on the next part of your journey.

~Becky

Janine P.
on 5/21/11 12:30 pm - Long Island, NY
Best of luck to you.  Dr. Greenbaum is a little more infamous for doing revisions from RNY to DS as compared to Roslin.  Both are fantastic doctors, though. 

Janine   Me on Youtube 

smile750
on 5/21/11 12:45 pm - Bridgewater, NJ
On May 21, 2011 at 7:30 PM Pacific Time, Janine P. wrote:
Best of luck to you.  Dr. Greenbaum is a little more infamous for doing revisions from RNY to DS as compared to Roslin.  Both are fantastic doctors, though. 
I also read on the revision forum that Greenbaum maybe not doing revisions right now (not sure what that means..)  Curious to know more about him being infamous - can you expand a little...

Thanks!

Jen
Janine P.
on 5/21/11 12:49 pm - Long Island, NY
I just mean that out of the people on this forum, I don't think there is 1 person that had an RNY to DS revision with Roslin, but I think there are 3 that have had an RNY to DS revision with Greenbaum.  I'm just comparing difficult revision experience.  That's all.

Janine   Me on Youtube 

teachmid
on 5/21/11 12:35 pm - OKC, OK
Welcome. There are quite a few of us "revisionists" around.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

smile750
on 5/21/11 12:46 pm - Bridgewater, NJ
On May 21, 2011 at 7:35 PM Pacific Time, teachmid wrote:
Welcome. There are quite a few of us "revisionists" around.
Thanks for the welcome!  Can you tell me some more about your story?

Jen
teachmid
on 5/22/11 2:55 am - OKC, OK
Jen,
Sorry this took me so long, just saw your repose.

My RNY was in 1989. I did really well for about 6 years then the fight with weight began again. I ended up with worsening diabetes, hypertension, constant hunger, reactive hypoglycemia, and, of course, weight gain. The quality of my life literally tanked over the last few years.

I initially was exploring the ROSE or whatever out of desperation. After the EGD I was told I was only a revision candidate because of multiple gastrogastric fistulas,

Fast forward, found out my insurance would not cover any WLS. I was desperate, and in researching self pay revision, began looking at the DS.

I contacted Dr. Keshishian's office as well as a couple other surgeons and proceeded with the DS last Decemebr with him.

My last insulin was 2 days after surgery. I am off all prescription meds except a PPI. My hypertension, reactive hypoglycemia and diabetes are gone. I feel the best that I have in years !! I still get tired, but I'm older. I take a lot of vitamins, but I don't mind. The recovery was a bear. I won't kid you. Although many have no eating problems, I have had a struggle with food intolerances and eating, but it's getting better.

Was it worth it? YES!

Good luck on your research. This is very complex surgery and I would highly recommend going to someone who is very experienced.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Jolly Rancher
on 5/21/11 12:37 pm
I think you should go for it!!!!!!! The malabsorption really helps. That said, don't count on feeling full for hours at a time. I'm sure some do, but I can eat a full meal and be hungry 2 hours later. It happens frequently, and is quite disturbing to me. Yes, my portions are smaller, but not ALL that much smaller than they were before.
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
(deactivated member)
on 5/21/11 2:58 pm
I recently had this revision. The dumping/hypoglycemia and not feeling full should go away with your revision. You will be able to eat a much more normal diet and feel satiety again.

Best of luck
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 679 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1005 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 338 views