-itol (sugar alcohols) phobia for DSer's? Why?

JazzyOne9254
on 4/21/13 4:23 am

I thought reactions from sugar alcohols (-itols), were only something RNY's had to be careful of.  I know that the -itols can cause diarrhea.  Is this the cautionary note for DSer's or is it something else?

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Huneypie
on 4/21/13 4:35 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
They can affect Normies too. They can also cause bloating and cramps too.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

* Gail R *
on 4/21/13 5:26 am - SF Bay Area, CA

I have always had horrilbe reactions to Sugar alcohols. First it would feel like something was living in my stomach and bowels and before long the explosions of gas and etc. would hit. I have always had to beware of them and it's a drag because I am diabetic and sugarfree is something I am always searching.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

PSaadallah
on 4/21/13 11:47 am - Arlington, TX
DS on 12/15/12

Doesn't seem to bother me which is great - I hate Splenda and Stevia, but I love Xylitol.

PattyL
on 4/21/13 1:01 pm

Perhaps the shortened guts of a DSer react a bit more than most but believe me the itols affect normies just like they do us.  When they first came out with SF Reeses, I shared a bag with a work friend.  We both spent the night in the toilet.  From that night on we called them 'Turbo Cups'.  The serving size was 5 pieces but we learned the most we could tolerate without 'issues' was three pieces.

Down the road they put the poop warning on all the SF candy because of all the reactions caused by the itols.  A lot of normies had to have this problem for the candy to get a warning label!

jashley
on 4/21/13 1:38 pm
DS on 12/19/12

It's always affected me that way as a normie also.  But I was determined, and diabetic, so I just kept eating SF candy.  Over time, I built up a tolerance to the -itols. 

After surgery, my tastes have changed.  Now the thought of any SF candy gags me.  That chocolate is like wax.

shannn
on 4/21/13 11:22 pm - Knoxville , TN

They give me horrible headaches for some reason. I'm much better off with real sugar than fake stuff!

~shannon
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." ~E. Roosevelt

(Ticker includes 11 pounds lost in pre-op diet.) 

maryc543
on 4/22/13 1:41 am

I bloat, cramp, and fart like you wouldn't believe from the itols.....

DS Part 1 (VSG) 11/14/06 DS Part 2 12/18/07
HW 430 SW 400 CW 210 GW 170 Blog: lifeisgood-mc.blogspot.com

Crazeru
on 4/22/13 8:26 am

I discovered the -itols with with SF candy when I was diabetic, not good.  After my DS same thing.  I can handle maybe 3gr of SA, sometimes not even that.  I look before I eat.  Generally 6-8 hrs of bloating, gas, explosive diarrhea... not worth the pain.  Real sugar for this old lady!  Lots of protein bars have SA - read the label!!!

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1055 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1217 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 506 views