puree food (disgusting)

starlightlu
on 5/25/13 9:45 pm - Canada

Hi, I'm just about 3 wks post-op. I'm supposed to be on pureed foods now but it's way too disgusting for me. Trust me I've tried to flavour it and everything. I think my problem is more psychological. I just can't bear to eat pureed foods. Anyway, my question is: I wonder if I can just go to soft foods and skip the puree. I wouldn't mind living with egg drop soup or scrambled eggs or salmon or tuna for a few weeks. What do you guys think?

fullhousemom
on 5/25/13 10:16 pm
Every doctor has his/her own post surgery guidelines. I never ate pureed anything. Did your doctor give you a plan of what to eat at say 3 weeks, then six weeks, etc. I had it all laid out for me on a sheet of paper (which I no longer have). I know I was eating scrambled eggs (to the best that I could) at one week out. Soup is fine. I was also eating a lot of cheese. I think salmon and chicken is fine, though you wont want to eat anything too dry, and dont be surprised if you cant eat too much.

Good luck!
docputer
on 5/25/13 10:50 pm - Topeka, KS
DS on 01/17/13

I kinda skipped the pureed foods myself. During this time, I ate refried beans, scrambled eggs, egg drop soup, and a few other soups. I did talk to my doctor about it and he told me he was fine with it. He just didn't want people to rush into eating real dense food while the suture line was still healing. Hope you find something that works for you.

nicholivolkoff
on 5/25/13 11:18 pm - Canada

Try just chewing soft foods really well. I never pureed anything after VSG or DS. Like everyone said, eggs, salmon, tuna, etc. Chew to a paste. I really think you should be fine.

Irishnurse
on 5/26/13 1:45 am
DS on 04/17/13

I was on soft foods that far out. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

meq815
on 5/26/13 2:36 am - PA

I, too, am still on the "pureed" stage, and cannot handle anything pureed.  I've tried.  I'm mostly sticking with yogurt and a well mashed hard boiled egg with a lot of mayo.  I've also sucked on a saltine till it is paste.  I also haven't had much of an appetite, so when I feel hungry, I used that opportunity to get the protein shakes in.

jashley
on 5/26/13 4:13 am
DS on 12/19/12

You are doing great in your choices.  Yogurt is so good for you on many levels at this time.  Eggs are great protein.  Using this time to get your shakes in is also great - the protein in those shakes are the most readily absorbed by your body right now.

Keep up the good work.

starlightlu
on 5/26/13 6:26 am - Canada

thank-you all! I haven't cleared it with the doc but if i listen to my body I'm sure it's ok to skip puree and be cautious about the rest.

staci0769
on 5/26/13 7:12 am - NE

i never did the pureed food either. I am 6 weeks post op DS. I eat tuna canned salmon with fat free mayo so its not dry. I eat mozzarella cheese, yogurt, soft boiled eggs, cottage cheese. I have found that eating dense solid food is hard still for me. I cant eat chicken or broccoli stuff like that. You are doing good and will succeed. its alot of trial and error with the food thing. its been slow going for me. i get my protein in cuz i have to eat every 2 hours cuz my tummy hurts bad if i dont. which my doctor said is ok at this point in time because im not eating much. if you want to try meat try lean ground beef. small bites chew well and pace yourself. it worked for me. good luck

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 358 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 815 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views