baked custard

jashley
on 6/25/13 1:01 pm
DS on 12/19/12

Made a big batch of this.  When I need something sweet, or feel like some calorie therepy, I reached for the custard.  It's easy to make, eggs are cheap, Spenda works great in this, and it can be mixed with toppings.

I use frozen fruit that I nuke to warm up, put that over my custard.  SF whip cream is good also.  And the eggs provide protein, so I don't feel guilty.

It's easy to make.  Just make sure you add the warm milk to the egg mixture slowly, while whisking, till the eggs are tempered. 

Happy baking.

dustycroy
on 6/25/13 1:24 pm
DS on 05/14/13

Wow, this is a really good idea.  Protein, and something sweet!....  Do you think instead of milk that maybe heavy cream could be used?  Does the splenda make it taste like something thats surgarfree?  or can you not really tell.  I notice that sometimes it does or doesnt depending on what your using it with...

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

jashley
on 6/25/13 2:08 pm
DS on 12/19/12

I use 1/2 N 1/2 mixed with heavy cream.  You can use all heavy cream, but I would cut it a bit with water.  Heavy cream would make it so silky and smooth.  You want thicker milk products for a thicker, richer taste.

This time I used 1/2 N 1/2 (to finish the carton), evaporated milk (1 can), and a bit of heavy cream to top the measuring cup off. 

Splenda works for me, but you don't need it to make the custard.  You can use other types of sugar substitutes if you prefer.  I use Splenda all the time so I don't notice a "after taste" from it.

I don't like my custard to be too sweet either.  I do like the fruit sauce to be sweet though.

This desert keeps me out of bad stuff.

Huneypie
on 6/26/13 2:25 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

What recipe do you use?

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

jashley
on 6/26/13 3:26 am
DS on 12/19/12

I double this recipe and make it in one large pyrex pan. 

Ingredients

• 2 cups whole milk, 1/2N1/2, evaporated milk, cream
  • 3  eggs
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 1/2 cup Splenda
  • 1 TBS real vanilla extract
  • Freshly grated or ground nutmeg

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 300°F.

2. Place six 4-ounce ovenproof cups (you can use ramekins, or coffee cups marked as oven-safe) in a deep baking pan just large enough to hold them.

3. In a medium saucepan, bring the milk to a simmer over medium-low heat.

4. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, yolks, sugar, and vanilla.

5. Slowly pour the milk into the egg mixture, whisking gently to combine.  THIS IS TEMPERING THE EGGS, AND IS VERY IMPORTANT TO DO THIS SLOWLY, WHISKING THE WHOLE TIME.  OTHERWISE, YOU WILL COOK THE EGGS RIGHT IN THE BOWL.

6. Pour the mixture through a fine strainer into the cups (I make mine in one large pyrex dish nestled in a larger pan for the water), then sprinkle lightly with the nutmeg.

7. Pour hot (not boiling) water into the pan until it reaches halfway up the sides of the cups.  Don't ge****er in the custard.

8. Bake until the custard is just set (it can still be a little loose).  Start checking it at 35 minutes.  Stick a thin knife halfway between the center and the rim of the pan.  If the knife comes out clean, then it's done.

Don't over cook it.  The center should jiggle - it won't be firm.  Putting it in the frig firms it up.

I also undercook it so it is a nice custard sauce.  I pour this over fruit, eat it with granola and nuts on top.  It's better than any pudding I've ever tasted.  It is also the base you would use to put in your ice cream maker for the best, smooth ice cream you can make at home.

Huneypie
on 6/26/13 6:56 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Sounds great - thanks.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

usandall
on 7/1/13 12:05 pm

I made it with heavy cream how much carbs would you think is in this per serving?

Valerie G.
on 7/1/13 5:56 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

this was a regular staple my first couple of years post op.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 325 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 783 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 261 views