Camping and DS

~~Sami~~ *.
on 9/5/13 3:31 am - Jacksonville, FL

My kids are really getting into scouts, and I'm wondering if any of you have gone camping with a DS.  Just wondering how the bathroom situation would work, etc.

Strange question, I know! :)

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

Huneypie
on 9/5/13 4:13 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

I've not tried it but it sounds like a bad idea.

I'm down to going 1 or 2 times a day at a year out, but it's generally 20+ minutes a time and nearly always first thing in the morning - even on weekends when I'd rather stay in bed late!!

To not upset others you'd probably want something like Poo Pourri - we don't have it in the UK but from what I've read it's better than Febreze.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

downsize54
on 9/5/13 5:17 am - MI
DS on 07/12/12

Just over a year out. Went camping (pup tent) 4 months out for 3 weeks. Went this summer as well. Bathroom issues were greater last fall, just made sure tent was close to camp bathroom. Was REAL careful about what I ate, esp in evening. Took lots of quick protein foods (turkey sticks, Syntrex powders/shaker bottle,ect). This summer was a lot better, bowels have settled down, GI track tolerating everything better. I was still mindful of the simple carbs (bread,rice, etc) to avoid issues. Hope it works out as well for you as it has for me.

* Gail R *
on 9/5/13 6:20 am - SF Bay Area, CA

I go camping all the time. Early out the biggest problem was a line at the toilets in the morning.  Eat very carefully and get up before the toilet rush when rude people bring their entire morning routine into the bathrooms and take their time. (tooth brushing, shaving etc. weird and yucky) Every camp situation is different but it is usually very easily doable. It's a wonderful way to spend time with your kids.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

MissDee1
on 9/5/13 6:41 am - TX

I'm going camping 6 weeks after my surgery.  Nervous about it.  But we are in a cabin with our own bathroom.  I will be extra careful though about what I'm eating.  Since there is only one potty and 10 of us I would be sooo embarrassed if I stunk up the place or hogged the one toilet for too long.  But it's all for the kiddos right?  They just love camping.  I do too. :)

jashley
on 9/5/13 7:45 am
DS on 12/19/12

I went camping at 7 months out in Yellowstone.  I woke up at 5am to hit the bathroom (there were only 2 toilets for 14 camp sites).  I did my business before anyone else got up.

I was amazed at the compost toilets they have now.  I brought spray and such, but it wasn't needed.  I thought it would be horrible, but the odor is absorbed by the chemicals they use.  If you are using regular toilets, just keep flushing as you go.

And I watched what I ate.  Did not drink alcohol. 

Had a great time.

~~Sami~~ *.
on 9/5/13 2:01 pm - Jacksonville, FL

Thanks everybody.

I already have IBS-D...so it's a worry even before my DS.  I appreciate all the ideas, as well as the reminder to eat clean and carefully.  I try to do that now when traveling to avoid issues.   :)

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

SharonG
on 9/5/13 11:56 pm - Arlington, VA

Not a strange question :-)  I agree with the clean eating and careful timing.  I have camped many times post DS. For me, the issue is always when I first wake up in the morning and have to make a 'run' to the bathroom.  Doing what I can to make that not too painful is a small price to pay for being out in the fresh air, camp fires and amazing views.  I have to keep reminding myself of that.  

The worst situation I had was hiking part of the Inca trail to Machu Picchu.  By the third night, everyone had some form of travelers diarrhea.  There were only 2 toilet tents and the wait was painful!  You might want to bring a garden shovel, toilet paper and scope out an 'emergency' location just in case ;-)

jashley
on 9/6/13 3:47 am
DS on 12/19/12

You might want to bring a garden shovel, toilet paper and scope out an 'emergency' location just in case ;-)

Good point.  I did have a old bucket that I designated my emergency use bucket if needed.  I figured if I had to, I would take that bucket into the tent and use that as my toilet and then take it to the bathroom when the surge/hordes of people left the bathrooms.  I had that bucket filled with 1/2 gallon of water and ready every night just in case.  I figured I would cover it with saran wrap to close off the stench and keep flies out till I could dump it. 

Just having that made me relax.

PattyL
on 9/6/13 5:51 am

Beat the AM rush to the toilets!  And eat mostly protein!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 307 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 773 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 257 views