Is it OK to remove the capsule on a probiotic?

Huneypie
on 10/26/13 2:23 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

There's a really high strength one I've seen and wonder if it's OK to have just halve it as it's really expensive.

Does the shell need to protect it 'til it's in your stomach?

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

jashley
on 10/26/13 2:38 am
DS on 12/19/12

That's a good question.

hollykim
on 10/26/13 8:56 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
I personally think it would be ok. The capsule is just a "vehicle" for the powder to ride in.

Huneypie
on 10/26/13 8:57 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Thanks, I think I'll just have to give it a try.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

S Andrews
on 10/26/13 4:44 pm - eatonville, WA

I open the capsules all the time and just put what I want in a little water and drink it down. Probiotics have two purposes- one is to help the stomach and the other is to help the intestinal tract. If you are wanting it to help your stomach then opening it and putting it in water just helps it to get to work faster. If you are wanting it to get into your intestinal tract you will want to leave it in the capsule so that the capsule carries the probiotic to where it needs to go. Sometimes the capsules will be made a little tougher so that the stomach acid won't break it down until it hits the intestinal tract. If I am feeling bad I will open one up and put it in water and take another one in capsule form at the same time. Our gut needs that good bacteria to help us out- especially after taking antibiotics.

Sharon

Huneypie
on 10/26/13 8:58 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

My stomach's not really an issue.  I think I'm just going to have to try it both ways and see what difference it makes.

I  my DS  

jashley
on 10/27/13 2:58 am
DS on 12/19/12

I had not thought of it, but taking one in caps and one broken open is a good idea.

Please let us know if breaking them up makes them more efficient.  I am mindful of the fact that a large portion of my vitamins end up in my sewage tanks, so I'm always looking for ways to give my body a chance to absorb them better.

I also drink water that has apple cider vinegar in it.  Just a table spoon or two.  It gives my stomach more acid, and hopefully I am able to break down all these pills better.  I have to say, since I started drinking water laced with vinegar, my acid reflux is gone and I don't get heart burn any more.  My sister told me to do this (although at the time it seemed counterintuitive).

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 325 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 783 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 261 views