Is there anything one can do to prevent hair loss?

Huneypie
on 12/1/13 12:58 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
My ferriti has been lower and I've never lost any hair. I've had a dozen surgeries and no hair loss. I actually get my hair thinned when I get it cut.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

beemerbeeper
on 11/29/13 11:06 am - AL

Easiest question commonly asked.  Answer:  no.

~Becky

Mary Catherine
on 11/30/13 7:10 am

You can't stop it from happening because it probably is from the anesthesia.  I was a hairstylist and worried when someone said they were going in for surgery.  The longer a person is "under" the more chance of hair problems later.  Sometimes a brand new permanent wave would go straight.  I have seen hair color applied before surgery fade too quickly. Hair would thin and fall out a few months later. 

While you can't stop the process, you can do the best you can to take care of your hair.  Keeping up your protein seems to help.  It is probably better to skip traditional shampoo and use Wen.  I used the Nioxin products but now only Wen with Tea Tree Oil. For several years my hair was thinner especially on top but looked healthy and shiny.  Rinsing your scalp with vinegar can be helpful to keep an acidic environment. 

I used Biotin and stopped because I was growing too much facial and body hair.  My legs needed to be shaved at least once a day.  I had to have full facial waxings, while the hair on my head stayed thin. 

A shorter and layered cut often helps.  Color and highlighting swells the hair follicle and makes each hair "fatter".  Work with your hair stylist to get the best look while this is going on.  Even though regrowth starts again, it can take several years for hair to get to a longer length.  My hair is about 12 inches long and hair grows back at the rate of about half inch a month, so it took a long time to be back to where I started.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 367 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 820 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views