(TMI Sorry) Blood in Stool

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 11/25/13 2:28 am - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

I noticed a little bit of bright red blood in my stool this morning. Of course I panicked because I've never had that before. I'm not experiencing any pain whatsoever, so it surprised me.

I immediately emailed my surgeon and then came here to search about it. I found out that it might be an internal hemorrhoid or a fissure. (I've never had either of those.) In past posts, people recommended Mirolax and Colace so I bought both on my way to work today.

Is this something I need to be worried about?? 

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

Huneypie
on 11/25/13 2:44 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

The only time I ever had blood in my stool was many many years ago when I had NSAIDs without food.  I mended the error of my ways and the issue resolved quickly for me.

Are you taking any medicine where this could be a side effect?

Whatever the cause is, it's worth further investigation as these things tend to be OK if caught early.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 11/25/13 2:48 am - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

No, not taking any medication other than the Pantoprazole I've been taking since surgery.

I upped my iron and calcium recently, which probably made my constipation worse. I'm hoping it's nothing, but I definitely won't ignore this!

Dr. K. is in surgery this morning, but I was assured I would hear back today. I will call my PCP, too.

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

Ladytazz
on 11/25/13 3:24 am, edited 11/25/13 3:25 am

I'm willing to bet it's a hemorrhoid.  Believe me, if it were a fissure you would know it.  I had one and it was almost as painful as childbirth.  I used to experience bleeding from hemorrhoids with no pain at all.  Eventually (after 5 pregnancies) they got worse and I had surgery 15 years ago.  That was the most painful surgery I ever had but I am glad I did it because they have never bothered me since.  My daughter had the same thing.  If it is hemorrhoids do whatever you can to deal with them early before they get that bad.

If you are constipated that could cause hemorrhoids and it can also cause some tearing if your stools are very hard.  It the blood is bright red that is a sign that it is fresh blood, most likely from some kind of injury or hemorrhoid.  Make sure you take stool softeners and keep from straining no matter what.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

T Lady
on 11/25/13 3:32 am
I'm also guessing on an internal hemorrhoid or slight tear. Whenever this happens, which is does every once in a while, especillay when I up my calcium, I up my stool softener as well. I get it at Costco, docusate sodium. The fresh red streaks, without pain are usually an indication to me that my stool is too hard and I need to soften it up a bit to make it pass easier. Sometimes it will shift from no pain to a bit of burning and my PCP has given me Anusol Plus HC suppositories, which helped quite a bit!

Original DS-1/07/09- Dr. Simper, SW: 286, LW:170, Post-op HW:194

Hiatal Hernia Repair & Revised DS to Hess Method-1/29/14- Dr. Keshishian, SW:194, CW:176, GW:130ish

PCOS w/ 2 post DS pregnancies!

PattyL
on 11/25/13 4:31 am

Bright red without pain usually means you injured a small hemi or something like that.  I wouldn't be too concerned unless it continues.

jashley
on 11/27/13 11:06 am
DS on 12/19/12

I get that from too hard of stools, constipation, or cronic diarrhea... yea, just about anything at either end of the spectrum does it for me.  I have also had a fissure twice.  I think I've seen it all - figuratively speaking.

It goes away when I get the cause dealt with.  It doesn't seem to cause long term harm.  Some times it comes with pain, or no pain. 

I don't worry about it.  I try to keep things moving, and try to keep it soft.

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 11/28/13 11:55 pm - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

Thanks, everyone for the responses! An update:

Both my surgeon and PCP said to wait and if it happened again, to come in. 

I ended up getting Miralax, some Culturelle, and a stool softener based on what I read here on OH. Things are much better and I haven't had a problem since that day. :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 802 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1079 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 353 views