DS Revision with an unknown?

Angelique J.
on 12/26/13 1:44 pm - Allentown, PA

Here is my basic run-down. I had the lap-band done in 2008 - lost 120 pounds, gained 60 back. Now at 300 pounds I am looking for revision to the DS. I have had no complications with my lap-band, but I did have my gallbladder out in 2009 (though I had had problems with it prior to WLS). I am having a very difficult time finding a surgeon in PA who will take my insurance and I have also called surgeons in NY, NJ. and a few other states as well as I am willing to travel, but to no avail. 

I have an upcoming seminar with the only surgeon I have found so far the does the DS AND revisions AND takes my insurance - Dr. Melihan of Temple University. Problem one: I can't find anything about his DS/revision experience on the internet/forums, but I can ask those questions in person although it doesn't fill me with confidence. Problem two: I have met him before, back when I was researching surgeons initially for WLS options back in 2007 and I have to say I found his demeanor...harsh. I won't say anything more, but our personalities clashed...hard.

I guess I am kind of feeling torn. What if hasn't done many surgeries? Someone has to be those early patients or we would have no vetted surgeons, but we always don't want it to be us on the slab. Would you just go with the RNY or just stick with your current WLS and go to a medically supervised bariatric program (I am starting one of these in January regardless to start jumping through insurance hoops if I need them and I figure it can't hurt)? Thoughts and ideas please, thanks guys :) (x-post proboards)

HW - 366+/1stSW - 325/CW - 301/GW - 200,

Lap-banded 3-5-2008, planning for revision to RNY 

J.A.C.+M  poly w/ child

Huneypie
on 12/27/13 12:40 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Please only go to a vetted surgeon.  StephOinAz was a band to DS revision and she said the exact same thing about, someone having to be the early patients, Steph didn't survive her surgery http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/4438614/Stephanie-Capek -StephanieAZ/#36694584 I remember the vets at the time warning her against going to an unknown.

If the insurance route doesn't work there's always self-pay.  You can get a second job if necessary... maybe at Starbucks which covers WLS.  I wouldn't bother with RNY - you've already found out that not all WLS is created equal, so make your next surgery the final one ;-)

All the best.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

larra
on 12/27/13 8:14 am - bay area, CA

Angelique, there are surgeons on the East Coast who do lap band to DS revisions, so I'm interpreting this as you having contacted them and they don't accept your insurance? If you haven't tried them, you could contact Dr. Roslin in NYC and Dr. Greenbaum in NJ. they are definitely experienced DS surgeons. Dr. Bonnani (sorry if spelled wrong) and his colleague - starts with an A and even harder to spell - do the Ds for sure, but I don't know if they do revisions. Fortunately, most surgeons with DS experience wtih do revisions from lap band. Finding a surgeon to do a RNY to DS revision is much, much harder.

Another possibility, though further from home, might be Dr. Smith in Atlanta, or Dr. Sudan in NC.

I have never heard of Dr. Melihan doing the DS at all, let alone as a revision from prior bariatric surgery. I can't say strongly enough that you need an experienced DS surgeon for a revision. A surgeon new to the DS should be starting with the easiest cases, meaning not revisions, and gaining experience before doing revisions. While you are of course right that someone has to be the early patient, it shouldn't be someone having a revision. I would love to hear that another surgeon is doing the DS, we always need more resources in different parts of the country, so I'm not saying anything against this surgeon (of whom I know nothing), just that I don't think this is the right surgeon for you, which is all that matters here.

Keep looking! Make more calls or send more emails. there just has to be someone out there that accepts your insurance. Don't give up, and don't settle.

Larra

gak
on 12/30/13 5:55 am
Revision on 06/21/13

Good advise from Larra. 

I live in Illinois and I went all the way to California for my revision. Dr Rabkin and Dr Keshishian are the top 2 docs in the US for revisions. This is complicated stuff, go to the experts ! 

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 310 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 775 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 258 views