Heavenly Flagyl to Hellish Thrush - any tips for the itchiness are appreciated

Huneypie
on 5/20/14 2:09 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Things had started to get bad bloatwise and they were getting to the point where I was so crampy I couldn't stand straight. This was happening in the morning before I'd messed up foodwise (ie succumbed to carbs).

Anyway, I was due to go on holiday and couldn't imagine how bad the cramps would be at altitude (ie in a plane) so decided to try Flagyl (AKA Metronidazole 400mg) - I had a course in hand from the doc that I was trying hard not to take.

I took a tablet at bed time and the next morning I didn't wake up with the normal bloat - wow, it was like some sort of miracle and the 20 minute poop session was more like a 10 minute one (has been for the last 2.5 weeks).

I've never had thrush before but started on the probiotics as a means of prevention. By about 5 days later things were starting to get itchy down there. I was in Turkey and things weren't too bad so I didn't do anything.

By the time I returned home, it was 3 days later and I was itchy beyond belief and I'd scratched myself RAW - yep, weeping an' all. I went straight to the doc and got some Canesten cream and a pessary (I know it's available OTC, but you're meant to see your doc the first time).

Anyways, the cream and pessary only helped slightly. It's 10 days since I used them and I'm still ITCHY!! I've been back to the doc who checked me out and said I don't have thrush. I'm doing the following and if anyone has any additional suggestions I'll give them a go:

- Mild shower gel for eczema so it's gentle 'down there'
- Cotton underwear (always have)
- Probiotic morning and evening
- Antihistamine tablets
- Ibuprofen or Naproxen tablets
- Betamethasone & Clotrimaole cream
- Sudacrem
- Hydrocortisone cream

The moral of the storey is get Canesten when you get Flagyl and DO NOT delay!! 

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

dustycroy
on 5/20/14 3:02 am
DS on 05/14/13
I took Diflucan for the yeast infection.... If your still itchy, then I think you need to keep treating the yeast infection. Ive only took Flaygl once, but when I did I needed to treat the yeast infection a second time, and that was after I quit taking the Flaygl... because I knew it was giving me the horrid yeast infection.....

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

Huneypie
on 5/20/14 3:49 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Hmmm... it's weird, coz my doc examined me and categorically told me it was gone but you may be on to something there.  Thanks.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

MajorMom
on 5/20/14 3:11 am - VA
Wow, I'm sorry. I've never had that reaction to Flagyl, only Cipro. I get it though. Not fun.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Huneypie
on 5/20/14 3:50 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Yep, I think I may have to call the doc again.

I  my DS  

dustycroy
on 5/20/14 4:44 am
DS on 05/14/13
I wouldn't mess with the Dr. myself.... Try OTC medicine... its the same as what the DR. would prescribe anyway, and you don't have to wait to be seen. You can start treating right away....

Huneypie
on 5/20/14 9:42 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

I managed to get an appointment to see the doctor today, so I'll try that as stuff on script doesn't cost me anything.

I  my DS  

Irishnurse
on 5/20/14 7:30 am, edited 5/20/14 7:35 am
DS on 04/17/13

This might gross you out but it works. Gently apply yogurt to your vagina and put some up inside of you too and let it set for awhile. Do this every day. It actually will cure it. It also cools and helps with itching. Use plain yogurt with no sugar unless you want your coochie to smell like blueberries then by all means use blueberry. LOL. Joking on the last part seriously plain with no sugar and that contains live acidophilus cultures. You can get it from a health food store.  =)

Ways to get the yogurt up inside you. needless syringe. Feel the finger of a rubber glove and freeze it. apply yogurt to the inside of a tampon (after you take the cotton out) and insert it like that. It is cold but it will feel good to the burning sensation that yeast infections give you. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

dustycroy
on 5/20/14 9:53 am
DS on 05/14/13
My mom and I use to use the yogurt method years ago as well, and it does work, but it takes a few days. When the OTC medicine started getting more advanced and promised results a little faster that's when we switched. It was a nice way to fix yourself up without having to pay for a trip to the Dr.. We also used the plain yogurt, mixed it with some water and put it in a douche bag..... uhg, I hope that wasn't to much tmi....lol Probably not for the folks on this site.... We seem to have to get down to the nitty gritty on here...lol

Huneypie
on 5/20/14 9:48 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Ha ha, no I have no particular desire for my coochie to smell like blueberry.

I'm seeing the doc today so will try that as it won't cost me. Also the itching is in the general area rather than up where tampons go.

I will bear the yogurt idea in mind, thanks for the idea.

I  my DS  

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 320 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 781 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 259 views