Exercising with a hernia

Ready4 AChange
on 8/8/06 11:16 pm - Upper Chichester, PA
Hi, Just checked out this board and found it interesting. I have been doing some walking and when I am in the pool I do some leg exercises. I would like to try to do some "stomach" exercises . I have a hernia the doctor said was about the size of my insision ( had open rny) I am afraid to really try anything too hard. ( not only that I'm afraid that if I get on the floor I may not be able to get back up again ) can anyone suggest some ideas for exercises ?  Thanks, Sandy

Sandy  

ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange Remember.......  Click to Give .....Hunger, Breast Cancer, literacy, rain f                                                                                         orest, animal rescue and CHILD HEALTH

Sandgee
on 8/9/06 2:20 am - boynton beach, FL
Lap Band on 01/24/06 with
Hi Sandy! I too have had incisional hernias from previous surgeries.  I solved my stomach exercise issues by doing water sit ups or water leg pull ups. Hold onto the side of the pool and bring your knees to your chest.  Release.  These types of "sit ups" are kinder and gentler on the body. The leg pull ups are done by holding onto the pool edge and first  bring one leg forward so that it is perpendicular to your body.  Gently swing like a pendulum in the water so that the leg kicks back.  You work both your abdominal muscles and your butt muscles. Start easy and as you get stronger you can get more agressive.

Sandra
 320/255/170

Ready4 AChange
on 8/9/06 5:31 am - Upper Chichester, PA
Thanks for the suggestion .....I can do that !  Now if the pool stays warm enough for a while... Sandy

Sandy  

ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange Remember.......  Click to Give .....Hunger, Breast Cancer, literacy, rain f                                                                                         orest, animal rescue and CHILD HEALTH

jdubbs2
on 8/10/06 3:12 am - easton, PA
I also have a hernia, I do a workout dvd with an excersise ball.  you do have to get on the floor though.  The only thing I do differently is when lifting weights is I keep the weight light. My advice is to take it easy and go slow. john
Nancy R.
on 8/10/06 10:52 am - Mokena, IL
I have two hernias right now and I do not let them slow me down at all.  I do not do anything different because of them. Good luck, Nancy
Most Active