Weight training and protein(Jeremy maybe)

Amanda H.
on 9/7/06 1:17 am - Central, LA
I struggle already getting in enough protein a day. I probably average 50-60. I do cardio(spinning, free runner, or cycling) three to four times a week. Do I really need to add resistance training? Would it not even be worth it, or worse damaging, if I am not getting in enough protein as it is? Also, I ahve a body type that builds muscle, bulky muscle easily and am scared of weight training. So I guess my question is, should I wait until I am better at getting my protein in before starting a weight program? And what is the best way to train if I am scared of bulking up? TIA!!!!!!!
Amanda,
266/154/145
Cards Fan
on 9/8/06 2:42 am

Amanda, Adding resistance training into your workout routine is highly recommended.  WLS patients who experience significant and accelerated rates of weight loss often lose a substantial amount of muscle in the process.  The presence of lean muscle in the body actually helps you maximize your weight loss a benefit in addition to adding strength and muscle.  While each one of us is different, it's best to incorporate a balance of both cardio and resistance training into your workout regimen.   Many folks who carry extra weight experience the "bulking-up" or have that perception when they weight train.  In the past, I too was one of those individuals who did not like the results...but the real issue was not the muscle underneath, it was the fat on top of it.   If this is a concern, tailor your routine with resistance training focused on fat-burning (lower amount of weight, higher repetitions, multiple sets) and couple that with cardio.  This should give you the results you're looking for...you'll build strength, tone without bulking up, and shed pounds.  If you have an opportunity consult a personal trainer or the staff at the gym as they can help outline a program for you designed to achieve the results you're looking for. Don't let your protein intake be the obstacle or reason not to add resistance training.  While you likely need to increase your protein intake and get more consistent with it, you will still see great benefits in adding resistance training to your regimen. Best of Luck! Cards Fan Springfield, MO

Earl C.
on 9/8/06 10:29 am, edited 9/9/06 1:59 am - Circleville, OH

Hi Amanda!

You're doing great btw.

Sounds to me like you just don't want to do resistance training. You know what? That's ok. It's not for everyone. There's a lot of healthy, happy people out there that don't use resistance training.  There are a lot of advantages for doing resistance training, especially for WLS people. It's pretty much a known fact that the fastest way to change your body is through combining cardio, resistance training and diet.   I do it because I love it. Find something you like to do and stick with it. Earl

JeremyGentles
on 9/8/06 1:06 pm - Johnson City, TN
Amanda, good questions! Although you are only getting 50-60 grams of protein a day that is no reason not to add weight training to your exercise program. Your protein consumption will go up as you become further post-op, as I see you are less than six months post op at this time; the amount of protein you are consuming right now should not prevent you from performing weight training.  So, what will weight training do for you? Weight or resistance training increase bone mineral density (increase bone mass = good) helping to prevent osteoporosis, increase resting metabolic rate allowing you to burn more calories sitting still, increase functionability and much more.  I understand some women are cautious when it comes to weight training because they don't want to gain too much muscel. Most women don't have this issue but you may be of the body type that does put on muscle tissue relatively easy. Now, I understand you are worried about bulking up but there are several reasons why you should not worry about that too much at this time.  1. I am guessing that you might be eating around 500-700 calories a day at this time. In order to really gain a lot of lean tissue you would first have to consume many more calories than this. Building muscle tissue is an anabolic process which requires ample and often excess calories. You are certainly not consuming excess calories; you are in a caloric deficit which will actually cause you to lose muscle tissue which brings me to my next point. 2. After WLS your caloric consumption drops so radically that you end up losing a lot of muscle tissue. This is a bad thing. As you lose muscle you become less metabolically active; this is not so relavant while you are losing weight after WLS but retaining and acquiring muscle tissue after WLS will contribute to your long term success. Really, if you can build more muscle tissue, and I am not talking enormous amounts of muscle, you do burn more calories just sitting around the house than you would if you did not have that muscle. So, weight training will help you keep and gain back some of the muscle you lost due to WLS.  3. Later as your caloric intake increases to a more normal level you may then be able to put on a considerable amount of muscle tissue; btu again this is not a bad thing although I know you are hesitant to do so. It is my feeling that you should gain the muscle tissue now while your young - you will wish you could gain more muscle as you get older.  Please refer to the resistance training section of the Exercise and Fitness Forum for more detail about how you should start resistance training. http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/fitness/cmsID,1805/mode,co ntent/ Please let me know if this helps.  Jeremy Gentles, CSCS ObesityHelp Professional
Amanda H.
on 9/13/06 1:11 am - Central, LA
Thanks guys that helps alot!
Amanda,
266/154/145
Most Active