exercise and calories

Carrie W.
on 5/10/11 1:27 am - KY
I haven't posted on the exercise forum before, so HI!  I'm a recent post-op (6 weeks out).  Until last week I'd been putting off starting exercise.  I generally hate exercise for the sake of exercise. 
Last week I had my 6 week check up and the exercise physiologist really kicked my ass for not doing it.  And I hadn't lost any weight in a couple weeks so I started on Friday with the exercise.

She wants me to work up to 60 minutes of cardio a day then later add in some weight training.  I've always been an active person and while I am very heavy, I was in fairly good shape.  Right now I can't do 60 minutes of cardio at once so I broke it into two 30 minute sessions.  I also can't go really fast but I'm getting in more than 2 miles a day.  I am doing intervals as I can. 

My eating plan is very strick.  I'm to eat 400-600 calories a day.  I wanted to up my protein so I've quit eating anything but chicken/turkey/fish and greek yogurt.  I'm also not allowed protein shakes.  I'm averaging 500 calories and 73g of protein a day. 

I'm not sore or anything but I am tired.  Is this just something I'll have to get used to or am I really hurting myself exercising like this on so few calories?  I had pretty much gotten my energy back before I started walking.  I have to admit that I'm not sleeping very well right now either so that may be part of my fatigue.  I do take my vitamins as I'm supposed to. 

Thanks!!
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

BariAthleteRD
on 5/10/11 2:40 am - Playa Del Rey, CA
Hi Carrie!

This is actually my specialty in working with bariatric athletes. I think it is great that you are averaging 2 miles!! Staying at a lower intensity longer duration walk may be best for you right now....it keeps the carbohydrate demand down....the higher intensity workout the higher the need for carbohydrate..and if you are not getting enough you can get tired.

Is your eating plan so strick because of the recommendations of the RD or exercise physiologist? We get our energy from calories and if you are feeling tired and sluggish you may not be getting enough for the workload you are doing. There is absolutely no need to carb load and protein is so key for the first year after surgery. Generally, people I work with early out shoot for about 800kcal.  

I am putting on a workshop about this very topic in Portland if you are interested?
Carrie W.
on 5/12/11 1:58 am - KY

Thanks for the reply!

The COE I went to has 3 surgeons, several nutritionists and an exercise physiologist.  All work together and "the plan" is all inclusive. 

I had a bit of mild dumping after taking some children's tylenol so I'm definitely not going to carb load. 

I think I am going to follow the suggestions here and have a protein shake after my evening workout.  I usually eat before I walk so that would work out well I think.  It shouldn't put me very far over my calorie limit and would put me at over 80g protein per day. 

If it seems that I need more *carbs* what are good carbs to eat?  As I've said, right now my diet is greek yogurt and meat (chicken, fish and turkey). 

Thanks!

BariAthleteRD
on 5/12/11 2:23 am - Playa Del Rey, CA

Great question! Definitely recommend staying away from starches right now.
Adding veggies could be a great choice.
Fruits that you tolerate can work great because they have a good amount of fiber in them which can help keep the portion size down. 
Also milk (or soymilk) and regular light yogurt have some carbs in them along with the protein.  I am a huge fan of Greek yogurt but its alright to mix some of the regular light ones in sometimes. 
Many people after surgey are unable to tolerate beans and legumes because of the gas, but if you can tolerate them they are also a have some carbs and protein in them. 
The fruits, dairy and legumes all have potassium in them too which can help replete some of the electrolytes lost in sweat. 
Adding milk (or soymilk or lactaid...) to your protein shake can help replete your carbohydrate stroes and rebuild muscles.
Hope that helps some and gives a lil pick-me-up during your workouts :)

nate2009
on 5/10/11 6:20 am - Lebanon, OH
If they want you working up to 60 minutes a day , I would say to work up to splitting it 50/50 with cardio and strength trainig. In my opinion (that's all it is) the reason there is so much regain after surguries is the fact that during rapid weight loss you lose muscle along with fat. You then end up weighing less but still having a lot of body fat and no lean tissue left. In turn you have eat way less than normal people not to gain weight back, which doesn't work for most of us (that's why we are here now). Hang on to every ounce of muscle you can. You will feel and look 10 times better in the end if you have some muscle on your body.
    No longer about weight , it's all about living.            
jenna F.
on 5/10/11 7:51 am
 Why can you not do protein shakes? That would be a very easy way to get your protein in which your body needs! Don't be like me and not get enough protein and lose muscle but keep the fat. Now at 10 years post op I am on protein shakes and finally lowering my body fat and increasing my muscle mass, damage I did 10 years ago
Seht
on 5/10/11 8:05 am
Some programs don't "allow" protein shakes.
I know that Kaiser hospital in Richmond CA say no.
They consider it a slider food that goes right through your pouch and doesn't tend to keep you full as it empties from the pouch very rapidly.  So you end up being hungry again.

At least that was their explanation for it.

However once I started working out more regularly I had to add in some calories and a protein shake post workout was the easiest fit.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

jenna F.
on 5/10/11 8:29 am
 Yea, I couldn't imagine not having my shakes now that I found them. I went 9 years without them and now will never go back to not having my Vi-Shape! I can't eat enough food in a day without them to get in the right protein or the proper nutrition to keep my body healthy
Carrie W.
on 5/12/11 2:27 am - KY
Thanks everybody!

I took the day off yesterday and I feel better today.  I think Wednesday and Sundays will be rest days. 

I like to play hard.  I'm not accustomed to being weak or too tired to do the things I enjoy.  I think maybe I need to quit looking at this as a "diet" and concentrate more on getting fit and healthy.  The main reason I had this surgery was so it would be easier to do the things I like to do like hike and ride my horses. 

I think I'll stick to the 600 calories but add an extra protein shake.  I'll give this a couple weeks and see how I'm feeling. 

Thanks again!!

Most Active