Strong odor IN my nose after working out.. burning ketones?

Frances S.
on 12/14/11 1:24 pm, edited 12/14/11 1:26 pm - Crystal Falls, MI
 A couple years before I had WLS I was really into cycling.  I noticed back then, that when I would come in from an intense ride as I was cooling down, I would get this strong amonia like smell in my nose.

I've noticed it now post-op with workouts of much less duration, but probably equal intensity, so I finally googled it today.  I think this is different than amonia scented sweat, but the scent feels like its only in my nose itself.  One article I found mentioned that it was acetate and the result of burning ketones.

So I'm unclear on if this is a bad thing or not.  I'm 2 years post op and weigh in the low 180's.  My bmi is just under obese.  I'm trying to get more active to be stronger and fitter.. but wouldn't mind losing a bit more in the process.  So is it bad to burn ketones, if that's what this is, when I want to be losing more body fat?  Do I need to look at eating more carbs?  I am so NOT in the "carbs are evil" camp and am open to adjusting my nutrition to what I need to.

I've been working on cutting out garbage from my diet and getting more active this month and for most days this month I've been between 1400 and 1600 calories, 120 ish grams of protein and 120-150 grams of carbs.  I'm guessing if I need to not be burning ketones then I may have to time certain nutrition before or after my workouts?

Any advice would be appreciated.  I would really really like to work up to more endurance sports again like the long-distance road rides or running and I know I need to get a better handle on how to fuel myself as I work up to that.
MacMadame
on 12/14/11 4:02 pm - Northern, CA
From what I've read it can be caused by two things: not drinking enough fluids and not eating enough carbs.

I know I had amonia sweat early out when I wasn't eating as many carbs and getting in my fluids was difficult. My surgeon told me not to worry about it and it did go away as I got fitter and drank more.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Frances S.
on 12/15/11 1:46 am - Crystal Falls, MI
 Thanks for the response.. but to clarify.. I don't smell like amonia.. I smell amonia.  No one else can smell it but me and it almost feels like I'm inhaling it.
MacMadame
on 12/15/11 3:16 am - Northern, CA
 Yeah, that's what it was like. I just assumed it was my sweat because it only happened when I worked out.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active