Running with a faster group as a slower runner

ohbearly
on 4/28/12 10:22 pm - Mogadore, OH
Revision on 07/31/13
I am both a new runner and slow runner. I did a C25K program in a group and liked the social aspect. Now that the C25K program is done, I decided to continue running with the group. Unfortunately most of the C25K runners my speed just did the program to run a 5K. They are gone. That leaves me with runners who are faster than I am.

I have continued to attend the runs but I am usually left in the dust in minutes to run the hour by myself. The people are nice but just faster. I do not expect anyone to slow down to my speed. I am torn with running in this environment. It challenges me but at the same time is degrading running into the group at the end while others talk about how fast and far they went. I am just happy to finish. I am very close to just hanging it up with this group.

What advice to slow runners has in term of running with a group? Does a faster group motivate you? Have you found a slower group? (I am desperately looking for that slow group.

The bottom line is if I wanted to run by myself then I would just run in my neighborhood and not drive 15-20 minutes to do it. Oh, and my big problem is that this is one of my best friend’s group. He repeatedly says how happy he is to see me running with him. I know he will be disappointed if I bail. Maybe honestly is the best policy here and fessing up would be a good idea.

Tom

Follow my journey to a happy, healthy, active life at TomBilcze.com 

jwc10s
on 4/29/12 12:34 am
 I think honesty is the best policy here. You need to enjoy the runs, and not force yourself to a pace you aren't comfortable with yet. You will get faster if you continue to run, but you also will injure yourself if you choose to try and do it too fast too soon and for too long.

Find another group to run with, work on getting distance up if that's your goal, and work drills to become faster if that's what you want. You can always re-join your friends group when the time is right.

Just my humble opinion.

Jay

First 5K 5/21/2011 00:48:24

First 13 mile run 02:31:39 10/30/2011

5K Race PR 24:38 5/2013
First TRIATHLON 1:48:37 5/7/2012
Augusta Ironman 70.3 6:54:67
Half Marathon PR 1:55:39 6/8/2013 Bootlegger Half Marathon

Most Active