Managing nutrition

busymom39
on 1/16/13 10:51 am
Before my wls I was an active cyclist and triathlete. I am wondering how to manage my nutrition because my calories are so low. On a good day I only take in 500 calories. I am only 5 weeks post ob.

What do I do while training so I don't risk injury and low blood sugar problems?

Can I drink and eat shot blocks together?

I had the sleeve.

Any advice would be helpful. I am cleared to start training.
hrford
on 1/16/13 11:14 am
VSG on 03/19/12

Here's my 2p from someone who started running at 6 weeks post op.  I had to have a little bit of carbs before a run.  For me it was a cup of milk, or I'd peter out, other than that though I didn't up my calories at all, just upped my carb ration for the extra run UNTIL I hit about 5lbs over a "normal" bmi.  Then I inched up my calories in hopes of staving off muscle loss.  I also had the sleeve.

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

simmie78
on 1/20/13 10:19 pm

I'm a little over 2 months post-op (sleeve) and I just started spinning again to start getting ready for my rode bike (long, incredibly hilly rides where I am).  While my dr and nut don't push low carb - they advocate balance - it's kind of hard to not be somewhat low carb given the calorie restriction and the 50-60 grams of protein.

On 500 cals, I would not make it through spin class or be able to function. So far I'm at about 800 cals on days when I spin - it gets easier to get in an extra meal/extra cals when you are a bit further out from surgery.  I burn about 500-600 calories in a class (I have a heart rate monitor, so it's pretty accurate).  There is no way I could function if I'm only getting in 500 cals and burning 500 - I wouldn't be able to form sentences, I have a hard time when I don't eat enough carbs, let alone not enough cals. 

RE: carbs - I eat about 55-70 carbs a day and 60-90 grams of protein.  That seems to keep my brain functioning and my legs spinning - I try to keep my carbs early during the day and as my pre ride snack.  Depending on the time of class, usually in the evening, I keep recovery carbs to a min... like tonight I had 3 oz of seared tuna and a bit of carrots and brussel sprouts after class.

I will be curious what others say about shot blocks and drinking - but I think you need to test it out and see how it works - how quickly the energy they provide lasts you.  I think testing things out will be key during your training in prep for an actual event.  Now the game has changed, so you will need to see what works post op.  I've always used energy drinks while riding - accelerade, which has some protein in it - so you might want to look into some full liquid options.  I know for ride snacks, I'll be taking some protein shake so I don't have any issues with eating and drinking at the same time - I have a history of really bad bonking - so I think that's what will need to work for me post op.

I'll be curious how it goes for you - I'm not getting on my bike for about a month - so I'm ready for the hills here. The frustrating thing right now is that I'm building muscle and the scale hasn't moved in a week!  So be prepared for that as well!  (I"m trying not to freak out).

Hope this helps, or at least provided some insight!

Simone

Currently 180 - 76 lbs lost! Surgery 11/7/12, 36 years old, 5'8". I live in Hong Kong and it's a bit different here!

Most Active