Powerlifting?

theladyelsie
on 7/2/13 9:15 am
VSG on 08/06/13

I'm planning on having the gastric sleeve procedure done hopefully later this month or early August (I will have a date next Monday.)

One of the things I really enjoyed doing was lifting weights when I was working out and I was wondering if there is anyone here who competes in powerlifting.  Or really anyone who is involved with strength training with heavy weights.  I would love for this to continue (I was doing Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 when I stopped) and I understand my strength will be more limited and my gains slower but it is something I really want to do once I am cleared by my doctor.  

Sam LifeNerd
on 7/2/13 11:15 pm

I started CrossFit this year with lots of Olympic lifting and really enjoy it!!  I am nearly 2 years out, but starting back slowly after you are cleared by the doctor (1 month out from surgery or so) and you should not have any problems.

But again, start off slow, you will be weaker (less energy) so work on your FORM and the strength will come back AND the work on the form will make you a better lifter too!

theladyelsie
on 7/3/13 6:41 am
VSG on 08/06/13

Thanks!

I have always wanted to try Crossfit and it is definitely on my list of things to try once I have my surgery and start feeling better.  At that time I need to stay focused on not being frustrated because I'm not hitting PRs but making sure I've got my form down so when the strength comes I got it! :)

nate2009
on 7/4/13 7:31 am - Lebanon, OH
It's been a long time since I have been on here. I waited too long b4 hitting the weights... I did the cardio thing wanting to lose weight faster.... Big mistake. My suggestion is start the weights as soon as cleared by dr. This will help maintain some muscle while losing fat. I am getting ready to start competing in powerlifting since I am getting pretty strong for my weight class.
    No longer about weight , it's all about living.            
Earl C.
on 7/4/13 11:31 am - Circleville, OH

For a month or 2 after surgery, concentrate on cardio with a little light weight training, just to keep a little muscle mass. Gradually build back up to the heavy weight.  Before surgery I was doing half squats with 900 lbs and Good mornings with 500. After surgery I couldn’t even use an empty bar for squats. But the strength does eventually come back. Although I never did fully gain all my strength back, I think it was mainly due to aging and having different goals other than powerlifting.

I’m a big believer if you’re training hard you’ll need more protein than someone that’s just walking, so find a good protein drink, because you sure won’t be able to eat enough.

The incisional hernias I developed are my weakest link. It was kind of weird. After surgery, for  years, I could  do incline situps with a 45 pound plate on my chest. But one day playing with the dog about 5 years after surgery and my hernia popped at the incision site, then the other a year later. I had them repaired, I thought, but they still pop out, so no dead lifting or direct ab work in my future. I do squat still, without a belt, because I believe it’s the best form of indirect ab work and full body strength builder there ever was.

Good luck.

Earl

Most Active