Help!! Exercising gaining not losing??

graciesmommie
on 7/2/13 10:25 pm
I am almost 4 yrs out from RNY. I have joined a gym. I have been worried about my weight creeping up. I have gained 10lbs in a year. I have always exercised but I have been exercising faithfully daily since the middle of May. I have been taking 3 to 4 classes one day and 2 the next. I love Zumba, kick boxing, Zumba core, yoga, Pilates, etc. my husband thinks I am not eating enough for the exercise I am doing and my body is holding on to everything. I strive to eat between 1000-1100 calories a day. Not sure what I am doing wrong but ready to cry. I am 5ft 2 my lowest weight was 109. Stabalized at 120. Now have jumped to 130. I changed jobs this year so stress factor has been a little high. As a teacher I am off for the summer and throwing myself into getting on track and back to ME. Any guidance is appreciated.
Nothing tastes as good as this feels!                                                                     
Sam LifeNerd
on 7/2/13 11:12 pm

I think honestly the best advice would be to get your resting metabolic rate tested!  I had mine done at my bariatric clinic, that test + the body fat%, was $75 all told, so not too expensive and the information is golden!

Once you know your ACTUAL daily calorie burn, you can plan your diet and exercise (and any deficit for weight loss) accordingly!

For instance, I am 5'9" male, the charts say I should burn 1850-1950ish calories per day, but my actual burn (RMR) is 1690 calories!

Second bit of advice that I have heard repeatedly is once you know your total calorie number, EAT your calories and then any deficit you want for weight loss comes from your exercise.

Final thought, clothes getting tighter?  Fat takes up 3x more room than muscle.  So if the 10 pounds represents MUSCLE growth, versus fat, there would be less effect on your clothing, etc.

But that test (RMR + Body Fat) will give you the 2 things you need to know.  Calories and actual body fat %, and then you can attack any excess body fat as desired.

Good luck!

Sam

Most Active