4x a week workout?

lonnierjones
on 2/27/14 10:38 am

My BMI is 43 and I am working out 4x a week tops at the gym. Is that enough or everyday workout is ideal?

danslillady
on 2/27/14 10:28 pm

I think it depends on what your goal is, what you are doing, and how much you are doing in those 4 days.

HW: 274 SW: 241  CW: 149 --- 5'6 (Surgery date 11/26/2013)

PetHairMagnet
on 2/27/14 11:29 pm
RNY on 05/13/13
On February 27, 2014 at 6:38 PM Pacific Time, lonnierjones wrote:

My BMI is 43 and I am working out 4x a week tops at the gym. Is that enough or everyday workout is ideal?

I exercise 6 days a week for at least one hour at my target heart rate. Yesterday I ran for 94 minutes, but 13 minutes were warm up/cool down and not at THR.

I run 3x one week and 4x the next week and in between I am doing core work/Pilates/weights but 3-4x a week is really a maintenance level to just stay at the level of fitness you are per just about every trainer I have talked to. Even the Y here has a poster that says to 'keep it steady' come 3 to 4 visits a week. 

My bet is that there are many schools of thought, but when you ask me, you get mine. :)

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

billmacc7
on 2/28/14 9:59 am - MA

Like others have said, depends on what your goal is...I currently do 5 days a week as I am preparing for some upcoming road races...Previously I would shoot for anywhere from 4-6 days

Yours in WLS Journey,

Bill Mac

weightloser1
on 2/28/14 12:52 pm

it totally depends that what are your goals now. and i think that every day workout is very ideal.

(deactivated member)
on 3/2/14 1:33 am - Poland

In my opinion, it does not hurt to jog 0.5 hours each day. The very health.

Tanya S.
on 3/2/14 3:52 am
RNY on 03/25/14

My BMI is 53 and I am getting ready for RNY on March 18. The physical therapist said 30 minutes walking or exercise bike 5 days a week for the rest of my life, using rate of perceived exertion RPE instead of THR to adjust the intensity. 

weightloser1
on 3/2/14 5:13 pm, edited 3/2/14 5:13 pm

gym is the good place for weight loss. i think you will get your target here. but if you also do running and jogging, you can achieve more and more target.

(deactivated member)
on 3/27/14 3:10 pm - GA

I think its great you are exercising 4 times a week. Good job. I have been a personal trainer for over 10 years and most of my weight loss successes have come from people I have exercising 5 days a week. Not necessarily with me but 5 day on a consistent exercise routine. Usually 1-3 days is for people who have reached there fitness goals and are maintaining. Four days is not bad but that fifth day really gets you into the results. I do think if you are exercising at the proper intensity, reps, sets, cardio, etc. for weight loss your body needs two recovery days. Don't want to overdo it but definitely want to exercise enough to challenge your body. Additionally, its also the exercise program you are doing on the days you exercise which will ultimately determine your results. So make sure the program you are on is geared toward your goals and you have done the proper research. Hope this helps.

Most Active