My Band Saga UPDATE!

Nikki C.
on 4/13/11 9:18 am - Gaithersburg, MD
I haven't had a chance to get on here and update everyone but here goes...

March 10 - major reflux for months, total unfill of 4.0ccs, suspected slip, on liquids for a while and a PPI
March 18 - Upper GI - NORMAL
April 1 - EGD - NORMAL

Nothing is wrong with my band it just I guess hates me and wasn't wanting to work with my body.

April 7 -  One month unfilled and back to old eating habits ...not every meal but I felt like I was having my last supper over again.  I THANKFULLY only gained 2lbs.  So.....I'm trying again.....a little less fill.  3.5cc in my 10cc band. Liquids for a few days.

It's been almost a week and so far since the fill the reflux has been cooperating so we are just going to see how everything goes.  My Dr. is all for a revision if need be and the band starts uncooperating again.

I'm going to try....and stick with it, but if I can't handle fills going forward, I will have to make some decisions.  I know I'm not at optimal restriction - I do not get full on very little food and I don't stay full.  I'm trying to make it a willpower and mental thing as much as I can...back to protein shakes for breakfas****ching my sliders and working on chewing better to get solid proteins down.  I've not had a PB since the fill.  I've gotten slightly stuck 2 times but i just sat there and relaxed until it went down on it's own.

Every day is a different day so my journey continues still banded......

psychomom
on 4/13/11 9:27 am - China Grove, NC
Sorry you are having issues but it is terrific you have not gained more than 2 lbs !!!! Keep us posted.and Good luck on your journey!

hopeinarizona
on 4/13/11 9:36 am
Well you have a reflux-issues pal in me. I just had a 2 cc unfill last week because reflux was waking me up in the night it was so bad. I have had my band over two years and at 18 months out, I had my first reflux episode with needing to be unfilled and now this is my second. My band is in the right position and all looks A-OK, other than I had low-motility and my esophagus was starting to dilate a bit, hence the unfill. She will check me again in one month and give me a little fill if I am looking good.

The band is a fickle little friend. I feel for you.

grannymedic1
on 4/13/11 9:43 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12
I am glad this fill is going well, I hope it continues. If I might offer a suggestion; you mentioned having protein shakes for breakfast. Unless you are too tight to be able to eat solid foods in the morning you would be better off choosing something more dense. The shakes are only for initial postop, after a fill or unfill for about 24-48 hours, if you have gotten fully stuck, and if you haven't gotten enough protein in with dense foods and need to pump it up, but you can't eat anymore.

The band is just not designed to work with liquids. You wilol feel hungry too soon, too often, too long. It can make the rest of your day harder than it needs to be. Again if you are tight in the morning you can try drinking hot liquids then when ready to eat try something like greek yogurt, cottage cheese, egg beaters, etc. Go as dense as you can with out making yourself miserable.

Another thing you mentioned is never feeling full with the band. It isn't supposed to make us full so to speak but to feel as if you don't HAVE to eat more. Head hunger is what makes me want to continue and that is not affected by the band.

Sometimes when we have been around a while we forget the whys and wherefores, but if I am off base here and this doesn't apply to you, just ignore me but accept my sincere best wishes. Good luck, Sue

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

Tracie_67
on 4/13/11 9:44 am - MD
You story sounds a little similar to my story except upper
GI was abnormal band has slipped terrible cough at night complete unfill almost a month a go really struggling.  Endoscopy isnt until May 6th if the stomach is fine band will be replaced or repaired.  i have been banded since january 2008 miss my restriction trying to eat like i have been for the pasy 3 years but i have gained pounds

Miss my liitle friend but true everyday is a different journey hopes all works for you, if the band has to be removed not sure what I'm going to do.
Hislady
on 4/13/11 10:01 am - Vancouver, WA
I've had my band for 3+ years and the 2nd year I had to have 1cc taken out, 3rd year another cc out, this month emptied the whole darn thing. It just kept feeling tighter and tighter so since I have no bariatric insurance anymore I just had it emptied completely because I can't afford $225 for every fill or unfill. Plus the band hasn't done anything to help me that I can't do myself so I don't need to feel stuck all the time.
Nikki C.
on 4/13/11 12:43 pm - Gaithersburg, MD
It's crazy how we all have similar stories.  The band is a lot of maintenance or can be which is the part I just didn't know enough about.  The last month was pretty stressful on me...missing work, this appt. that appt.  My head was all over the place.

Sue, I never was a morning eater but know it's important so that's why I choose the shakes instead of nothing.  Sometimes I do have yogurt but im not that big of a fan of yogurt so have to really convince myself.

I do struggle with the concept of feeling satisfied vs feeling full.  Sometimes the hiccups come on or left shoulder pain and I definitely know that's a stopping point. 

I hate to think I will never get to my goal weight with the band but I'm just going to have to do my part and hope the band works with me and not against me.  I just know I can't be where I was before.

Unfortunately part of my lack of weight loss has alot to do with stress which sometimes is uncontrollable. I have to work on that! I also am not ashamed to admit that I know I am guilty of turning to the wrong foods that will go right through the band when i'm facing certain other struggles and issues.  It is hard stop when before it used to make everything better for that particular  moment. 

I wish everyone else well.  I know we all struggle in our own way and band life can be frustrating, upsetting, annoying when things just are not at a good point.  All we can do is try to do our best and we all know for most of us that is not going to be everyday or all the time.  For right now I'm going with the motto - "work with what ya got" .....I hope Im on the right track

Caidkin
on 4/14/11 6:44 am - Canandaigua, NY
RNY on 07/02/12
Good Luck and keep us posted.  !!
Just had my RNY on 7.2.12!!!!  WOOHOO!!!!!         
Most Active