Going to Weigh****chers after Lap Band Surgery

Bobbi M.
on 7/30/12 6:38 am - Portsmouth, NH
 I had Lap Band Surgery 5 years ago. Since that time, I've gained back 18 lbs and I am very unhappy with myself.  I feel I must do something I never wanted to do again which is return to Weigh****chers. I've been to WW probably 10 times throughout my life prior to surgery.
Part of me says I've failed , but the other part says "The only failure is not to try."
During these five years, I've slowly decreased exercise and let more sugar creep back into my diet.
I said to myself that I would never been one of those lap banders that started to gain it back, but I have.
So I ask folks opinions of going to Weigh****chers after Lap Band Surgery. I know others have done this.
Thoughts?
(deactivated member)
on 7/30/12 7:07 am - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
Doesn't hurt to use another resource with the caveat that WW and band nutritional needs are not identical.  Also, WLS folks are not welcome at some WW organizations.  So I'd be upfront with the group you are interested in joining before you actually do.
Bobbi M.
on 7/30/12 7:20 am - Portsmouth, NH
 Wow, that certainly surprises me that any Weigh****cher program would not welcome someone who has had a lapband. Why?!? Guess I will call before I go.
-Mari-
on 7/30/12 10:51 am
I see nothing wrong with going to WW. It is just another "tool". Same as OA, support groups. etc. I think some of us just need a little rebooting so to speak, to get us back on track. I've just started, myself and have been doing well. (going to gym 3 x a week, eating right, etc) and I had a jump start with trying the B-12 lipo shots. Whatever helps, is good in my eyes. I'm sure it will help, and it's good that you recognize you may need a little help.
The only reason I can guess why some WL group would not a WLS patient to join is they may feel it's not fair (don't they have WL contests or something?) buy I could be totally wrong. And if they don't want you, you don't want to be there. LOL
 Mari  Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!
BroomHilda
on 7/31/12 1:58 pm
All People are welcomed I remember having members in my group who had Gastric Bypass and had gained weight back.

You can do it!

Starting Weight 346.7lbs Current Weight 199lbs Goal Weight 150lb
sesmith
on 7/30/12 10:53 am
 I say use every tool you can, 7 years out here, I did WW twice. Lost both times. It is a lifelong effort, the band just helps. 
pineview01
on 7/30/12 11:17 am - Davison, MI
Yep, it is another tool.  I did well with WW once too.  My DD does WW and she gives me advice from them when I ask for it.  Now doing WW online like my DD wouldn't help me.  I need that person looking at the scale weighing me in.  Online works great for the DD.

Everyone is different and different things work and don't work.  Take and use anything that works for you.  Can't hurt!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

kathkeb
on 7/30/12 11:46 am
 I rejoined WW at about 6 weeks post op.

I have never mentioned that I had surgery.

I got to goal in 18 mo the and have been maintaining for 20 months.

I attend every week that I am home.
I even go at 7 am on Saturday mornings ..... It is that important to my success.
Kath

dianeg49
on 8/1/12 12:59 pm
On July 30, 2012 at 6:46 PM Pacific Time, kathkeb wrote:
 I rejoined WW at about 6 weeks post op.

I have never mentioned that I had surgery.

I got to goal in 18 mo the and have been maintaining for 20 months.

I attend every week that I am home.
I even go at 7 am on Saturday mornings ..... It is that important to my success.
Kathy,
When you went to weigh****chers did you follow the points system or did you follow WLS surgery guidlines? I joined weigh****chers and was very confused on what eating program was right for me.
You have been quite an inspiration with your weight loss sucess and now your plastics! I strive to catch up with you LOL!
Dianeg49            
kathkeb
on 8/2/12 10:03 am
 Hey Diane,

At first I could not eat all of my WW points and I used the good health guidelines as best I could and ate from the filling foods list.

I followed my doctors orders to eat lean, solid protein and produce first with grains sparingly.

In the past, WW was a little too flexible forme.
I would rather have 30 points worth of Oreos and then nothing else than have real food.

So I can't go by points alone be ause I eat too much crap.

I used OA to give up the crappy food and WW for support and accountability.

I was so determined to get that damn Lifetime award that nothing would stop me!!!!!!!

Kath

Most Active