Medifast

mamalegba
on 7/29/12 2:05 pm - Bonne Terre, MO
 Having trouble losing by last 20-25lbs. Was thinking about trying Medifast  to lose them. Anyone ever done Medifast or a diet like that?  Whats your thoughts on it?
Thanks Barbara
Barbara        
Thundergrrrl
on 8/9/12 10:24 am
I am actually using medifast right now. It does work, if you follow the program exactly.

Here's the thing...

Basically, Medifast is an expensive way to make sure that you're eating about 1000 calories, 100 grams of protein, and 80 grams of carbs per day. This combination puts you in a mild state of ketosis for fat burning and increases your energy while decreasing hunger.

As a bariatric patient, we should all really be aiming to eat this kind of diet anyway. Low calorie, low carb, high protein, right?

The real advantage of medifast is that their foods give you a wider variety of stuff that for the most part tastes like what it's supposed to (i.e. brownies, cheese puffs, cereal, pancakes, etc.) while STILL keeping you on the plan and getting the nutrition you need.

For me, this is the big perk that makes it worth paying for. If you're the type that can live off chicken breasts, tuna fish, protein shakes, and brocolli and be completely happy then you don't need a plan like medifast.

If you think that having a wide variety of tastes would help you not stray into actual junk food, then go for it.

I definitely recommend buying stuff off their website before signing up in person at a center where it costs a lot more (but does come with weekly counseling).

Best of luck!

(also, you can go to mymedifast.com for free support)

Highest Wt: 274 / LAP-Band Low: 180 / Sleeved at 233 / Goal: 160!

JazzyOne9254
on 9/2/12 10:10 pm
I did Medifast many years ago, right after Oprah's famous "fat wagon" show and her "size 8 Calvin Klein jeans.  In fact, I went to the same hosptial program she had gone through, as I was living in Chicago at the time.  It was one of my diet failures. 

I lost weight, but once I was into the refeeding process, and then totally back onto food, I began to slide down that slippery slope....gained it all back, and then some.

I am now 3 1/2 years out from my DS, and for me, it's a wonderful thing!

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Most Active