Bacteria Overgrowth??

GloriV
on 6/23/13 9:46 am - Lexington Park, MD
Hi all! I'm almost 9 years out from RNY and have been really struggling for the last 8 months with bacteria in the SI. At least that is what they think is going on. I have been very "good" about staying on the prescribed vitamin regimin and have maintained my 130lb weight loss for the last nine years. I could write a book about all that has happened in the last 3 years that doctors are saying is "newly discovered" post op complications of the RNY. This is all scary stuff and would love to know someone has been down this road. We are still in the "investigative phase" of understanding why blood sugars drop out without warning (no sugar, carbs, or other food instigators related) and why folic acid, zinc, ferritin, and copper are 4x the levels they should be.
At present, I am on a regular cycle of Flagyl and Dosycycline every 5 weeks to keep the bacteria under control. Blood test results are expected tomorrow to see if the last round of treatment brought blood levels down.
Again, I don't want to freak anyone out or sound like a complainer, but this is scary stuff that seems to have taken over my focus in life in the last 8 months.
Anyone else have these issues? Would love to hear your thoughts, feelings, or experiences.

RNY December 2004  270 --> 130

juleskar
on 6/25/13 4:55 am
Do you watch AmySDMom on YouTube? She has even having a bunch of tests and they have sad she has bacteria overgrowth too, but she's a vsg post-op. she is also a weekly vlogger for ProofWLSWorks. She's still suffering and the dr's haven't nailed down exactly what is wrong with her, but she has been keeping us updated. Best of luck to you & please keep us updated!
Debbie B.
on 7/9/13 10:29 pm - Pembroke, GA

I had gastric bypass 8 yrs. ago.  For the past 6 months I have been very sick.   My gastroenterologist thinks I have bacteria overgrowth.  After antibiotics and /or probiotics it clears up for a few days and then the symptoms come back.  Any help would be appreciated.

GloriV
on 7/9/13 11:23 pm - Lexington Park, MD

Hi Debbie! I am so sorry! I know how scary and frustrating it is to feel awful, but even more so when the doctors aren't sure why! When you say you "I have been very sick" what do you mean? What are your symptoms? I am still working through my stuff with my GI, but these darn vitamin levels are SOOOO important. Do you get your levels (A, E, 25 hydroxy D, whole blood thiamine, copper, zinc, ferritin, CBC, B12, and folate) regularly checked? this has been CRITICAL for my doctors to understand "why" I am sick. That is how they "know" it was bacterial overgrowth and how to tell when the antibiotics were working. What antibiotics were you on? I now take a regimin of doxycycline for 10 days and then 5 weeks later I take Flagyl for 10 days. So far, it has been keeping things under control. My high copper and ferritin are another story, but we are still testing to discover what's up with that. They just discovered that my B12 was low (which it wasn't 3 months ago) and WOW what a difference when I started on the sublingual drops!! I have learned so much though this journey, and am happy to hear more about your experiences/issues and try to support/listen to you.

The best advice I can give you is to work with a GI who SPECIALIZES in gastric bypass (or weight loss surgery). They really do know our bodies beyond what "regular" GI's understand and get your vitamin levels checked every 6 months. For whatever reason, things change quickly with our altered bodies and uggg we feel it don't we??  

I'll keep you in prayer and please don't hesitate to reach out and keep me posted on your progress!

Hang in there!

Glori

RNY December 2004  270 --> 130

Debbie B.
on 7/10/13 1:40 am - Pembroke, GA

Thanks Glori for replying.   I took Cipro,  probiotics, Generic of Flagll and now on Probiotics.   I go to doctor Mon. Jul 15.   I have to take a B 12 shot every month and take a lot of vitamins and supplements.   I have like flu symptoms, nausea, vomiting, diahhrea and stomach pain.  I've had an egd, ct and colonocopy.   I do get a lot of blood tests.

Thanks again,

Debbie

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/16/13 10:36 am

Hi Glori, 

I had issue with BS and RH and some other issues..  I am 5 years post op RNY.. I refused to accept the "gastric bypass" blame.. 

Eventually I was able to see a great endocrinologist and I have been diagnosed with SAI - secondary Adrenal Insufficiency.. 

I still do have issue with RH - reactive hypoglycemia, but now my BS stays more stable if I don't eat. 

It has been a journey.  I know i always had issues with candida (since childhood) and I really watch for that  and try to control that with meds, supplements and diet ... I take probiotics daily (since forever) and I think that is helping with some of the issues. 

I also developed food sensitivities - allergies... some food really does number on my guts... I had to eliminate that ...based on some of my symptoms - I deal with IBS-C. I may have that for a longtime, but since the RNY - and multiple issues (3 surgeries to fix things inside)  I think things are not getting any better..   

I do think that when they do the RNY - by removing the pylorus valve - they are messing up our insides causing some serious issues.  Small pouch, lack of stomach acid - creates a situation when any "bad"  food- bacteria - have a chance to really  take hold in out guts and multiply before the body can figure out what it going on...  I had a food poisoning a few times since my RNY and I was so sick.. I was lucky that I recovered with no lasting issues.  

BTW: low adrenal hormones cortisone (like adrenal deficiency - primary or secondary) may cause severe immune deficiency, and fluctuation in BS, BP, as well as inflammation in the body (which may cause elevated ferritin level) and so on..  

I am not an expert on that - but a lot of people with adrenal issue - do have problems with their gastro part. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active