Severe Iron Deficiency 14 years post op.

PNethery
on 5/12/15 6:13 am - Vero Beach, FL

Hi, I haven't been on the site in a very long time. I am hoping to reconnect because I still have a lot of issues after having roux n y gastric bypass 14 years ago. I am severely iron-deficient. I am seeing a doctor at the beginning of June. He is a hematologist and we are discussing iron IV infusions.I do not tolerate iron supplements very well. I use the chewable iron vitamins from Bariatric Advantage.I am also vitamin D deficient and low in vitamin B12. I take daily supplements though I am not as good as I should be and taking the iron because of the severe gastric distress it causes me. I have started making smoothies shakes and putting in fresh spinach and kale. does anybody have any suggestions to help me out. I realize that I have not been taking as good of care of myself as I should have but now I'm paying the price and I still have never reached my goal weight I am still 75 pounds overweight and never fully reach my goal. I am currently thinking about researching to find a doctor that may do a revision or at least check me out. Thank you for any suggestions that you may have.

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/12/15 11:53 am

I am 7 years post op... but I was very diligent about my labs... 

I don't tolerate the oral iron also, and even when I try to take them (and deal with the pain) - they don't do much if any for me. .. so every 2 years or so I get Iron infusions.  

Vit D- I use dry D3, 50,000IU in a small caps and that worked great for me - too well.. so now I only take 1 - 50,000 IU every week or so. 

Vit B12 - I had problem maintaining my B12 - even with sublingual supplements - so I have been injecting myself weekly with 1000mcg B12 (doc Rx). That finally allows me to keep my B12 blood level at 800-1000. 

I use generic Multi - CVS brand Centrum Equivalent multi. and I take that 2 per day. I also try to supplement with K2 and K1... 

good luck. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Eggface
on 5/13/15 5:22 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Ask your hemotologist about injectafer... 2-30 minute infusions 1 week apart. It'll have you back up in the black in a jiffy. It's quick and just sitting 30 minutes with an IV no biggie.

http://www.injectafer.com/

Take your vits faithfully after that. I use Celebrate I love them but just make sure to take them... even taking them faithfully I had an iron issue... the double edged sword of a malabsorptive procedure. So all the kale and spinach in the word may still not stick.  

P.S. On the regain....  life happens no more looking back at old goals. Start charting your food, water, exercise for a few weeks and see what adjustments need to be made... while you wait for a Dr appointment. There is a great group here on OH head over to the WLS Grads forum they will give you all the 411 on it. If you have an in-person group locally I'd go to that. I don't know where you are but once a year the OAC has a great conference that really helps me keep my head in the game www.YWMconvention.com lots of nutrition, weight, health, wellness Dr's sharing info, support. 

Best wishes! I hope your levels are 100% soon.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

PNethery
on 5/16/15 9:05 am - Vero Beach, FL

Thanks a bunch! I appreciate the info!

sandy80
on 5/20/15 3:16 pm

I failed the blood work, had to start taking everything and in 3 months I passed. I'm hoping to have surgery by July and concerned about how costly they are. do you know of any place that is cheaper for the ones that must be liquid or melt under the tongue? Thanks

ashleydawn11
on 2/3/16 9:37 pm
VSG on 01/28/16

My mother is the same way and she is 10 years out.  She was severely anemic and had to be hospitalized.  Now she gets iron twice a month?  I'm not 100% sure.  Good luck to you!

Kathy S.
on 2/4/16 8:03 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

When my iron tanked a good friend of mine sent this and I have been doing it and my iron is now back in normal range for us.  As everyone said, get everything in check and please take care of yourself.  Us long timers can run into some serious issues including death if we don't keep our labs in check.  Check with your doctor and see if this is an option for you.  Good Luck!

Kathy, this works.  Liquid is best but it stains teeth so if you do this, make sure to toss the iron back or use a straw to keep if off teeth.  Try this until your next test.  I take a whole ounce every day.  We need more than the average person.  Here is a site to order liquid and it's on sale for $5 a bottle.  Good buy.  I mix it with about 2 ounces of OJ or grapefruit juice.  Makes it way easier to take.  But you can chew Vitamin C supplement with it and it's best on an empty stomach.  I just take it last thing at night then I have the 2 hours 'after' covered :)   Iron Supplement (Ferrous Sulfate) Liquid 16 oz., 1 Bottle
  Here are my iron rules.   Charlie's Iron Rules: 1.      Do not take calcium supplements or vitamins containing calcium within 2 hours either side of taking iron.  Calcium and iron bind together and leave the body with no benefit of either.  2.      Take only liquid iron and take it with a little orange juice or a chewable vitamin C....iron needs acid to absorb.  Liquid isn't as constipating as pills, but if it's a problem, increase fiber during the day. 3.      NO coffee or tea (herbal is ok) within 2 hours either side of taking iron.  It's not the caffeine; it's the tannic acid that inhibits iron absorption. 4.      NO soy products within 2 hours either side of taking iron. 5.      Very important.....NO dairy within 2 hours either side of taking iron.  That includes butter, milk, cream, cream cheese, ice cream, yogurt, cottage cheese.....NO DAIRY.   6.      Try not to eat foods that are high in calcium or calcium supplemented when eating iron rich foods.  IE.....don't have butter and sour cream on a baked potato when you have that steak J 7.      Cook as much as you can in cast iron.   Some iron rich foods include: ·        Red meat ·        Egg yolks ·        Dark, leafy greens (spinach, collards) ·        Dried fruit (prunes, raisins) ·        Iron-enriched cereals and grains (check the labels) ·        Mollusks (oysters, clams, scallops) ·        Turkey or chicken giblets ·        Beans, lentils, chick peas and soybeans ·        Liver ·        Artichokes Some calcium rich foods include: ·        Cheese ·        Yogurt ·        Milk ·        Sardines ·        Dark leafy greens like spinach, kale, turnips and collard greens ·        Fortified cereals ·        Fortified orange juice ·        Soybeans ·        Fortified soymilk   ·        Enriched breads, grains and waffles    

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active