Tumeric supplements

Hilda25
on 10/25/16 1:08 pm
RNY on 03/16/15

I've been having extreme shoulder pain since July. I have swelling in my shoulder that could be relieved by taking Ibuprofen but because I've had RNY, that's a big "No No!" I did get a PRP injection last week but unlike Cortisone, it can take up to a month to start working. I chose PRP because it has healing properties and can, in the long run help the inflammation. My physical therapist suggested I take tumeric supplements. I of course asked my surgeon but he said he didn't know much about it as it relates to RNY patients. He did say that if my pouch started to hurt for me to stop taking it. So I'm here asking my OH family for your advise, does anyone take tumeric for inflammation?

RNY 3/16/15 HW 277 SW 263 CW 156

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/27/16 10:27 am

Turmeric, ginger and cinnamon,as well as fish oils are good to modulate inflammation.   But it may take a while for the body to respond. 

When taking turmeric - if you consider supplements -  make sure you chose good ones. Turmeric is difficult to absorb so most companies mix taht with other herbs (like pepper) to increase absorption...

but - you can always use it in food. Don't use "raw" turmeric - it can cause irritation of the pouch lining.. so don't just sprinkle it on food. 

I use turmeric in my meat and egg dishes. heat up the oil - add turmeric - then add the meat...I always add some black pepper to increase absorption.  

I add to me meatloaf... etc...

the supplements - I know Gaia herbs stuff is really good. its not cheap.. but it really works and it has what it suppose to have...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active