My Favorite Thing About Living Here Is...

Sandy M.
on 4/30/14 1:49 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

I live in Detroit Lakes, MN from May to October in a campground.  It's glamping at its best, with WiFi, satellite TV, an indoor swimming pool and hot tub,  and paved roads.  Detroit Lakes is a town of about 8,000 which swells to around 15,000 during the summer season, when locals and snow birds alike come to enjoy the many lakes in the area.

I ran to the local grocery store this morning for a couple of items, and when checking out, the cashier volunteered that a former employee's funeral was today, so most of the employees were off attending the funeral.  We had a nice conversation, then I bagged my own groceries since the only bagger in the store was busy.  When I was almost done, the bagger told me "you're hired - I just fired myself".  

Pretty innocuous conversations all around, but I walked out of the store with a grin on my face.  You see, I live in Fort Worth TX the rest of the year, and most of the time there is no conversation other than "your total is..."  'Minnesota Nice' definitely applies here!

Knowing tha****er wouldn't be turned on in the park when I arrived, the Park Supervisor bought two 5-gallon buckets, labeled them "Sandy's Pail" and put them in my camper for me.  I'm happily hauling water from just down the street with those pails.  

It's 36 degrees now, and snow showers are forecast.  Even so, I went for a 5K walk to the park yesterday.  Along the way, I saw ducks, geese, and even a chipmunk.  The path winds along a river, then a lake, and then another lake.  It's warm in my camper, chili is cooking in the crockpot for lunch, and my cat is curled up on the couch.  The chili will be brought over to the campground shop for lunch, since it's the Park Supervisor's birthday.  I also got a cheesecake and garlic bread for him and his coworker, which will all be gobbled up on this cold windy day.

What do you love about where you live?

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

Kate -True Brit
on 4/30/14 2:33 am - UK

Sounds fabulous. And what I love is in many ways similar.

i live in a small town (about 2500 pop) nestled in wooded, green hills in a National Park. I love that! I love that no-one locks their house doors; everyone says hello, even if they don't know you. I love that my house is in a quiet road of very old houses, with friendly but not intrusive neighbours. I love that we still have local shops, a grocer, butcher, greengrocer, no big supermarkets or chains. I love that we have six pubs, all friendly and welcoming. I love that, in many ways, we live in the way people did fifty years ago, although we still have all the benefits of modern society like high speed internet!! 

I don't always love the inconveniences of a very, very old house! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Sandy M.
on 4/30/14 4:45 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Oh yeah, gotta have internet!  I could live deep in the woods alone if only I had internet and deliveries from Amazon.  

LosingSarah
on 4/30/14 5:45 am - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

Ha, ha! I'm right there with your, lol.

goleftoklahoma
on 4/30/14 3:08 am
VSG on 01/24/14

absolutely nothing!

cptprkchp
on 4/30/14 4:25 am, edited 4/30/14 4:27 am

I am glad you love where you are... it makes life all that much better!!

I am extremely proud of my neighborhood.  I live one block west of the World Trade Center.  The devastation here was unbelievable and these people came back with their brooms, mops, and vacuum cleaners and reclaimed their homes.  They refused to let ANYONE tell them where they were or weren't going to live.  Same thing with the shop owners.  Once again, we live in the shadows of towers built to represent to the world that we would rather die on our feet then live on our knees.

Sandy M.
on 4/30/14 4:48 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

I love me some NYC!  I "lived there" for several months while working on a big project for my company.  I put "lived there" in quotes because I stayed at the Waldorf Astoria!  It was great fun except we couldn't afford to actually eat there except at the Starbucks in the lobby.   

cptprkchp
on 4/30/14 4:58 am

The Waldorf is in a great location but, yes, the price of food (ANY food... ever see grocery store prices?) is unbelievable.  Just today I paid 17.00 for a corned beef reuben with fries from a regular diner. 

Sandy M.
on 4/30/14 6:22 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Wowza - I don't remember it being that expensive!  But, I do remember eating out of the CVS on the corner a lot because I couldn't afford the restaurants, so maybe so!

LosingSarah
on 4/30/14 5:53 am - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

As a Minnesotan I can say that I love it here for a lot of the same reasons as Sandy. The people are almost always a lot friendlier than other places I've lived. Even when I lived in Minneapolis it was "nicer" than when I lived in Madison, WI. I currently live in this regions "big city" lol. I think there are around 220,000 people in Fargo-Moorhead community, but we are surrounded by very small communities and the middle of nowhere isn't too far in almost any direction. :)

I love that there is plenty here to do yet I am very close to the wilderness. Lakes, rivers, forests, and prairies all of which provide state parks, hiking, biking, exploring, the spotting of wildlife, and more. My definition of a good time involves being outdoors and it's a bonus if it happens to be in the woods in a tent.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Sad news but it's for the best
TattooMom · 3 replies · 1058 views
Does Salt Matter?
alfred098 · 5 replies · 1124 views
Wedding preps!!!!
emilinjohn11 · 1 replies · 904 views
Best Running Idea's Outfit
emmajames · 0 replies · 774 views