Trying to explain

Radiogirl39
on 6/23/11 1:15 am - Canada
Having a little difficulty explaining to people in my life why I am considering WLS.  They don't understand why I would have such a serious surgery - risking complications and having to take vitamins, eat small amounts of food and exercise daily instead of doin Jenny or WW and doing all the same things without surgery.  And I can't even explain why to myself.  Other than I can't stomach (pun intended) the thought of doing another 'diet' or program.  I kinda feel like I need to 'reset' myself.  Does this make sense? Really, if I have to do all of the above anyway, what is the difference with the surgery, the smaller stomach giving me a better likelihood of going back into old habits?

First appt tomorrow, meeting Dr Sohi. Don't know if he will be able to answer this for me as I suspect surgeons want to talk about surgeony things.....
Lisa_Toronto
on 6/23/11 1:19 am - Toronto, Canada
The edge that you get from the surgery includes:
- a few weeks of massive weightloss
- a few months free of appetite
- about two years of time where the body doesn't absorb all the calories you take in
- a 'backstop' - if you overeat, you can only go so far

weight loss includes 25 lbs before optifast         
sam1am
on 6/23/11 1:28 am
I think Lisa was spot on, but I want to add that you just can't physically eat as much with the small size of your pouch or stomach.  You feel satisfied much, much quicker!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Mary A.
on 6/23/11 2:10 am
the surgery is ONLY a tool...

it doesn't make you eat less, (in teh beginning it may), but at over 2 years post-op..I truly have to know when to STOP eating...

people can still regain weight even after this surgery and many do....sure your pouch is small, but you would be amazed how many people resort ot old eating habits and the crap they ate before..the main point being with each morsel that you put into your mouth ya person has to remember why they had this surgery.

Obese people are labelled, fat, lazy, gross etc etc...I wasn't on a lot of "programs" prior to my surgery..but being 100+ lbs overweight I knew that I couldn't do it by attending weigh****chers once a week and follwoing a "plan"

while some are successful, and those television commercials, show us Marie Osmond, & Sara Rue can do it......well most could if they had a nanny, chauffer, someone to take the mundane things like laundry off our everyday... Kristi Alley..didn't keep her weight off and she was no longer the spokeperson..why..because she wasn't successful promoting (a product/plan)

If programs and diet's worked it wouldn't be a billion dollar industry every year and no one would be buying NEW DIET/PLAN books

When people say "you took the easy way out" they have NO CLUE on what they are saying if they never have faced obesity or this type of procedure.  My husband who never gained mor ethan 20lbs in our 23 years of marriage, said "you could do it with diet and exercise"...he wasn't in favour of me having the procedure, but was supportive if that makes any sense.

Two years later,  he realizes that I made the best possible choice FOR ME!!!!

as long as you have a couple of friends or family that will be supportive and NOT judgemental...you will do wonderfully.

I always equate the risks of the surgery to the likes of ANY surgeyr...there are risks..but again their are health risks for being obese....and most obese people (rarely) lose weight, if anything they keep gaining and gaining..sure they may lose a bit of weight, but statistics show that most regain that weight plus more.

I fyou have done research and are confident this is for you...then read everything and anything you can...to put your mind at ease...and share your informaiton with ONLY thsoe you feel confident will be supportive...for people having just having started this journey there are SO many questions and concerns...rest assured all of us who are post-op..HAVE BEEN right where you are at this exact moment.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Monica M.
on 6/23/11 2:21 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
this may be something your surgeon can speak to you about. The Social WOrker can also help. It might also help you to fnid a support group in your area, and get things straighter in your head about it, in a safe place,  without worrying that someone (like the SW) is going to think you're not prepared enough.

The pouch is a tool which allows your behavioural change to cement itself in your day to day routine. The size of the pouch only allows you to eat small amounts of food. I do not feel like i'm denying myself anything. I feel satisfied, and i have no cravings for sugary foods.

I do feel ilke WLS has allowed me to reset my body, and my head. (the support from this forum, and my support group, also, have been paramount in my success, so far).

Research has proven that WLS is way more effective than diet programs such as JC or WW. I'm only 3.5 months out, so i can't speak for behavioural changes long term, but even at this stage of the game, my behaviour is soooo different than it has been on any other weight loss attempt i've made in my entire life.

It's really important, tho, that you get your own reasons into your head. Try journalling, that might help. Blogging on here, too, will help you.

Good luck.

Mary A.
on 6/23/11 2:24 am
an added note to my previous post in this thread..

.do we as women EVER wonder why spokespersons for a particular diet program are MOSTLY women..?????????????????????? and usually celebrities or notable individuals:

Sarah Ferguson, Kristie Alley, Jenny McCarthy,Marie Osmond..I know there has been a male or two in the mix, but I couldn't tell you what program or who he was.

because MOST men are not as easily seduced by advertising and many (not all), but many men, don;t have the self esteem or concerns about the way they look.

A man is labeled as having a beer belly, while a women is fat and lazy....so why would programs such as Jenny Craig or Weigh****chers focus on having men promote their products, when a large portion of men...either don;t have a wight issue or they are FINE and accepting of the way they are.  We see this also in terms of actors, models etc etc ANYTHING promoted in the media.

(okay enough I am off my soapbox now)...LOL

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary

Lisa3756
on 6/23/11 4:57 am - Ottawa, Canada
Jason Alexander (aka George Kostanza) did Jenny Craig I believe.
Lisa

Referral sent 2010-03-02
Information session 2011-01-21
Appointment with the nurse 2011-02-17
Appointment with Diet/Behav 2011-03-09
Scope 2011-04-29
Education session 2011-05-04
CT Scan 2011-06-02
Appointment with Dr. Yelle 2011-06-28
Appointment with Dr. Klein 2011-08-16
Surgery - Hopefully!
Mary A.
on 6/23/11 5:28 am, edited 6/23/11 5:55 am
On June 23, 2011 at 11:57 AM Pacific Time, Lisa3756 wrote: Jason Alexander (aka George Kostanza) did Jenny Craig I believe. yes that's the name there was also an athlete in the last year or so

..but my main point is the FOCUS on/in these programs are WOMEN and celebrities to boot...just an observation.

I think it's because women can relate to women more compassionatly about weight loss

JMO

Mary

mypita58
on 6/23/11 3:11 am - Windsor, Canada
Quote from extreme makeover weightloss edition -"those that mind don't matter, those that matter don't mind"
Glenda    
Do not pray for an easier life, pray to be stronger.    JFK            
Mary A.
on 6/23/11 5:41 am
On June 23, 2011 at 10:11 AM Pacific Time, mypita58 wrote:
Quote from extreme makeover weightloss edition -"those that mind don't matter, those that matter don't mind"
like that...suitable

Mary

Most Active
Recent Topics