Muscle weakness!!!

leap
on 12/10/12 11:37 pm - Canada

Hi All!  I happen to know someone  in  Huston who had surgery 4 months ago and now she is falling due to muscle atrophy, I think that she is not having enough protein  they excluded  MS, the after care seems to be not as great with nutritionist  . I don't know how to stress to her about taking protein daily . What should I tell her so she get's it!!

leap         
Patm
on 12/10/12 11:42 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Perhaps tell her to come on the forums. If she is seeing a doctor to rule out MS she needs to be completely honest with them on what she is eating to contribute to any medical issues.

tbtilalaf
on 12/11/12 12:00 am, edited 12/11/12 12:00 am

Yes diffidently protein, but also is she exercising? Because you body will burn muscle before fat if you are not exercising. Exercise tells the body to burn the fat and not the muscle.   

edit: You need the protein to help  build the muscle.....

Melissa!

Surgery was July 19 2012, and I am doing great!! Only one regret....wish I did this years ago!!!!

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CENTURY CLUB!

Gabygee
on 12/11/12 12:08 am - Canada

I just want to caution you all re diagnosing this person unseen. Offering her advice on upping her protein is definitely laudable, but it sounds like this has potential to be an extremely serious *other* health issue, and you don't want to mess with her diagnosis and treatment by the professionals.

I won't go into detail, but there are certainly many potentially scarey scenarios why she could be experiencing muscle weakness, and they need to be ruled out,  as well as offering nutritional advice/support.

Marny B.
on 12/11/12 12:32 am - Canada

Agreed. 

Referral Sent:  March 19, 2010
Surgery date with Dr. Denis Hong: December 9, 2010

leap
on 12/11/12 12:44 am - Canada

Hi GabyGee  You are right about me diagnosing ,  she is being  looked after by doctors  having MRI and all things searched.  However after talking to her she disclosed that  she does not like the taste of  protein shakes  and does not take  any , with out them she will not be able to get all the protein she needs. How do I stress the importance of taking protein shakes daily . It is not a choice  it is a given to  supplement with protein shakes.  Gaby how can I reach  the  lady who had  her face lift done recently  at Trillium  hospital I think you know her I need to speak to her.  Thank so much Kat.

leap         
ToNewBeginnings
on 12/11/12 12:57 am

"It is not a choice it is a given to supplement with protein shakes"

Huh?

Do you mean her specifically for some reason or people in general?

I used protein shakes for about 4-6 weeks after surgery. Then I don't think I touched them again for well over a year.

leap
on 12/11/12 2:16 am - Canada

I understood that while you are newly out and losing  weight  and not at goal  you have to supplement  protein  intake. At 2 years out for me  I still take protein  at times when I have not eaten enough  of it through the day.

leap         
jewel-twin
on 12/11/12 3:24 am - Canada

You can absolutely get your full days protein from food... actually there is one center which insists on it and doesn't allow protein shakes.

If your friend is deficient her dr.'s should be able to pick up on that.... It wont HURT her to get extra protein if she doesn't have enough but this sounds more serious then that....  I am sure her Dr''s would have ruled out the simple things like protein, VIt and Mineral diff. first.

You can only as a friend give her suggestions and ask her to try but at the end of the day.....its up to her if she wants to.  I would leave this to her Doctors....

Family Dr. 06/05/2012    Referral Received 06/28/2012 Orientation 08/01/2012   NP 08/27/2012
SW 08/28/2012              Nut Class 08/27/2012
NUT 10/01/2012              PS 10/01/2012
Surgeon Dr. Cyriac 12/07/2012  **SURGERY  JAN 30, 2013**

fooh.png

time2changeme
on 12/11/12 6:26 am

I am almost 2 months pre-op and my clinic and doctor really frown on using protein 

supplements of any kind, they feel the best way to get protein is in the foods you are eating.

Good luck with your friend, I hope the doctors give her some good advice and she gets 

feeling better soon!

Most Active
Recent Topics