Brief Update

OKNEE FE + 3
on 4/1/13 7:59 am

I promise soon to write an unabridged version of my three month stay at the Humber Hilton, I did think a brief update was in order.

I came home March 17th still on 24H TPN (IV nutrition) I am able to tolerate 200-250 cal/day most days.  I have had a few PICC line issues which should be eliminated once I have my port-a-cath done Thursday.

I have had incredible back pain since early March which was originally attributed to a kidney infection however that infection has resolved and the pain remains.  A course of muscle relaxants has also not helped. . .hell liquid morphine and duragesic patch has also proven unsuccessful at relieving this pain.  I saw Dr Hagen today and will every two weeks until I am off TPN who gave me some distressing news.  It seems the pain I have may be the result of the extension of my partial obstruction slowly approaching a third total obstruction which may cause me to lose my pelvic pouch (a reservoir made of small intestine to replace my colon 10 years ago).  My best chance to keep my pouch is to have the original surgeon from Mt Sinai to operate. . .the referral was sent 2 weeks ago without an appointment materializing.  My GI guy in Hamilton asked sent a FAX to Dr. Hagen asking him to expedite the referral, which Dr Hagen claims he did, my GI guy also sent a FAX to the the surgeon I have been referred to asking to expedite. . .still nothing.  Dr Hagen said today he would ask again to expedite the referral.(whatever good that will do)  In the interim if my pain becomes unbearable or I start vomiting I am to go directly to Mt Sinai.

To be clear if I lose my pelvic pouch I will need a permanent ileostomy as I do not have enough small bowel to make another pouch.  I had a temporary ileostomy 10 years ago. . .I absolutely hated it. . .the thought of a permanent one makes me literally want to die.

And still no appointment at Sinai

Oknee's just gotta dance
Weight at the start of Optifast 378 T-1 OR Weight 352
Broke the 300 pound Barrier 13-Dec-2009 291.2lbs 01-APR-11 "onederland"
HGBA1C 5.2  d/c from the care of  my Endocrinolgist 09-JUL-10 "diabetes resolved"
10-MAR-11 Extreme Sleep Apnea (dx 2007) resolved-"b-bye CPAP won't miss ya"

HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT IRON AND/OR http://theironmaiden.ca/                

slrm2m2
on 4/1/13 8:16 am - Canada

I am so sorry you are struggling with these awful health problems.  It is impossible to know why some people have these problems...its seems so unfair.  I hope things work out as well as they can.  Life will go on, no matter what the final outcome and you can still flourish despite the health challenges, although your life may be different than it was before the health issues..  Never give up...ever.  Thanks for bravely sharing this difficult experience.  Sending healing wishes your way.

Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

Cuter_w_Curves
on 4/1/13 8:28 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

*gentle hugs*

Mt Sinai I find is hard to get a timely reply from unless I was to phone directly. Maybe you could do that?

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

renau2e
on 4/1/13 8:31 am - Canada
RNY on 05/07/13
My goodness, I am so so sorry! You have been through so much I am sending happy thoughts and healing vibes your way! I hope you are able to keep your pouch! Fingers crossed ... hugs!!

Referral sent-  Feb. 4, 2013   Referral received-  Feb. 14, 2013  Orientation- (HRRH)- Mar. 7, 2013   Sleep study-  Mar. 9, 2013   Meet Surgeon (Dr. Klein)-  March 21, 2013   SW/RD/RN- Mar. 26, 2013  Dr. Glazer-  Apr. 3, 2013 Surgeon Appt. (book surgery and pick up Opti)- Apr. 16, 2013  Start Opti- Apr. 17, 2013 PATTApr. 25, 2013   Surgery!!! May 7, 2013

Highest Weight- 345 lbs   Post-Opti/Surgery Weight ????    Goal Weight- 165 lbs

Nanato2
on 4/1/13 8:32 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Oknee

Sorry you are still having issues. Stay strong and big hugg for you. 

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

2mar
on 4/1/13 8:41 am
RNY on 09/20/12

Thanks for the update - thinking of you often.

SO sorry to hear this. You are extremely courageous (but probably by now... totally fed up - I would)

Hang in girl! as I know you are doing

Gentle hugs. If you need anything - you've got my e-mail 

Take care

Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.

roxytrim
on 4/1/13 9:37 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Hello Leona, Roxann here, we chatted a few weeks back when you were in the Presidential Suite at Humber Hilton.  I have been thinking about you.  I suspose the good news is that you are in your own home which must provide you with more comfort and quite.  Also at least you have been shuttled back to care at Sinai, if you can get your calls returned.  There is really nothing I can say, it is difficult to see the bright side of any of this.  You do have to keep on keeping on, for the sake of your family & friends and your iron fans out here.  I looked up your article , great information well written and easy to understand.  I am going to add prunes to my daily intake once I get a daily intake.  At present I am savoring the many faceted aspects of Chocolate & Vanilla Opti, pretending its a fine Merlot and Pino Gris, my VSG is going to be April 12.   

I will keep thinking about you, as I am sure many people will be doing the same.

birdiegirl
on 4/1/13 10:47 am

Ahh Leona....you have had such a difficult time of it.....I am so sorry kid,.......I sure hope they get things figured out for you....and you learn to live with your new normal.......

Thinking of you Leona and hoping for the best outcome

Barb

Heathergetbetter
on 4/1/13 11:39 am - Trenton, ON, Canada
RNY on 05/02/12

Wow. Thank you for sharing your update. I was thinking about you. I hope you soon get the help you need so you can start feeling better again.

Dr Ref: Sept 9th '10, Dr. Follow up (file lost in bulk transfer) Aug '11Pre-surg Asmt Ottawa: Dec 9th '11File Transf to HRH -another bulk transf Bypass class: Feb 2 '12 Surgeon Consult: Feb 8 '12    Dietician: Feb 8 '12   Soc Wrkr: Feb 8 '12 Nurse: Feb 8 '12 Internist: Mar 9 '12  Surgeon: Apr 4 '12 Opti:Apr 18 '12 SURGERY: May 2 '12    
Lorraine M.
on 4/1/13 11:41 am - Canada

My prayers are with you Leona. You have helped so many people. You deserve to have it come back to you. Take care. Stay positive. Lots of big hugs.

Most Active
Recent Topics