Update...fun continues

Dar_Mab
on 11/25/13 7:55 am - Kitchener, ON, Canada
RNY on 03/08/13

On Nov 13, I had the emergency surgery to deal with an internal hernia.   And while in there the surgeon, Dr Jules Foute - Nelong, repaired the umbilical hernia I was born with. He also scoped and saw I had a small ulcer so I am back on Prevacid for next 3 months.  All has has been good. I was feeling much better and starting to work out on treadmill, put on jeans during the day and generally feeling pretty mobile. 

Until this past weekend.    Woke up Friday morning with a huge lump near my belly button. It was very hard. I swore to God  my umbilical hernia had come back. It was so big that doing up the jeans was difficult.  Over weekend it got very painful.  So left message last night with Guelph clinic that I wanted to speak to Audrey first thing Monday morning and get direction on what to do. Anyways, as usual, Audrey was very responsive and indeed called as soon as the clinic was opened right after 8 am.  By pure luck , my surgeons only day at the clinic was this morning otherwise he was in surgery all week. So off I scooted to Guelph and got to the clinic about 9:15 am.  Surgeon saw me at 10.  Turns out that I had a huge infection.  Not at the incision site externally in my belly button. But inside where my hernia had been repaired.  He sent me off to the hospital and he met me there. With freezing they cut me open and drained everything.  I now have bandages that cover my entire abdomen trying to catch whatever else drains. I will need daily home care to keep the wound cleaned and packed for the next foreseeable future.    

Fortunately the freezing held for my drive home but now hurts like heck. So back on pain meds and antibiotics.    

Well it set me back on my healing but I am very thankful to both the Guelph  clinic, the surgeon and the staff at the hospital who are all very responsive and caring.   

When there is a problem they know what to do and do it.   Always feel like I am in good hands with them. 

So pre- ops and even post ops who go through Guelph.  Put your faith in Guelph    They won't let you down.  For any related problems, I personally find the hour drive to deal with them for issues to be worth it.  I generally skip the family dr and call Gueloh directly .   It has paid off  and Audrey will tell you if your problem is something your family dr should see

Darlene

HW: 305   SW: 272  CW: 155  Height: 5'4"

alysan
on 11/25/13 8:13 am - Canada

OUCH!

Referral: Feb. 14, 2013; Orientation: May 16, 2013: 1st RN/NUT/SW appt: May 28, 2013; 2nd RN/NUT/SW appt: July 31, 2013; Dr. Agarwal (internist): Aug. 6, 2013; Post Op Class: Nov. 25 2013; Dr. Reed: Dec. 17, 2013; Surgery: February 13,2014

Zizzler
on 11/25/13 8:20 am

Sorry to hear about this - but it sounds like you are receiving excellent care.

Hope you feel better soon...

Patm
on 11/25/13 8:22 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Wow , you just can't catch a break. Glad they caught it so fast. Hope you heal soon

gwynnkitty
on 11/25/13 8:23 am - North York, Canada

Yikes, Darlene! What a road this has been! Here's hoping this is the end of it, and everything from here on out is smooth!

Referral to Surgeon: February 12, 2013 Appointment with Surgeon: April 24, 2013 Endoscopy: April 30, 2013 Referral sent to Bariatric Registry: May 2, 2013 Orientation Appointment: May 27, 2013 Dr Klein Appointment: June 6, 2013 Second Upper GI Series: June 11 Dr Glazer: August 12, 2013 RN/RD/SW: August 29. 2013 Follow-up With Dr Klein: September 23, 2013 Start Opti: October 23, 2013 Surgery Date: November 14, 2013 

4-Jane
on 11/25/13 8:26 am - Canada

Holy, your have been under fire for a while you must be sooooo ready to have this turn around, I truly hope you heal and do not have to use the services of medical professions for a while. Sending healing energy your way

Respectfully Jane
merly6800
on 11/25/13 8:27 am - Canada

Wow, you  certainly have had quite a time of it.  Prayers for you that everything is worked out now! 

(deactivated member)
on 11/25/13 8:36 am

prayers sent.  heal fast!

Dani34
on 11/25/13 9:02 am - Canada
VSG on 10/21/13
Oh boy.....poor you. I hope you start feeling better.

~Danielle

GP Referral: Summer 2012 Orientation: December 17 th, 2012  Dietitian/Social worker and Nurse Clinician January 31, 2013  Post OP: September 19th 2013 Surgery: October 21st, Dr.Smith  (VGS) 

NewMe2.0
on 11/25/13 9:09 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

Wow Dar...you most certainly have hard a hard time of it lately...yet you always seem to remain positive and strong.  I commend you on that, and truly hope that this is the last in your string of bad luck.  Hope you feel better really soon!  Vicky

• Referral:  Feb 2013/ Guelph  
  • RNY May 20th 2014 (Dr. Bhojani)                                                                         
  • 2nd RNY (revision due to marginal ulcers) Aug. 10th 2015 ( Dr. Bhojani)  
  • Revision to VSG (marginal ulcers): March 22nd 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)
  • Total Gastrectomy:  Dec. 15th 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)

Most Active
Recent Topics