Question !!

deemags
on 1/15/14 9:42 am - maple, Canada

Hi everyone I just getting ready to have my surgery on Monday  have a few questions.

which protein powder is the best I should buy?

what about yogurts what is everyone using?

Campbell Soup which one is everyone using there's so many out but I'm not sure of different labels less sodium less etc... can you help

when you come home from the hospital do you have to inject needles for a week that's as someone told me.

thank you

My surgery date is January 20th at TWH  Dr Penner -

LittleMiss2013
on 1/15/14 10:43 am - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

For protein powder I buy unflavored from the Bulk Barn, you can buy as much or as little as you want and it has great stats....I use 1/4 cup to 1 cup skim milk and half a bananna (you can use any fruit you like or Davinci syrups etc) to flavor it. Here's the link - http://www.bulkbarn.ca/en-ca/product/health-food/whey-protei n-isolate-90.html?search=unflavored+protein+powder

Yogurt...I buy Oikos plain greek and flavor it myself

Soup...I bought low sodium mushroom and cream of chicken because I like cream soups =)

Yes about the needles....8 days after you return home you will have to give yourself ONE needle in the tummy fat per day. They are blood thinner to help keep you from getting any clots.

Good Luck! =)

Opti October 1. PATTS October 8th and RNY Surgery October 22, 2013

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Nerak
on 1/15/14 10:45 am - Canada

Hi Deemags and congratulations! For soup, I made some of my own (a lentil soup) and also used Campbell's. I used the tomato soup and made it with milk and added skim milk powder. I am not a protein drink drinker - instead I used milk with added milk powder, greek and regular yogurt, seeds and nuts and nut butters, and so on. Also, I add tofu to stir fries and soups (you can puree it). Also, if you like soy beans they are a great source of protein. Actually, all foods have protein to some extent and the diseases of low protein like marasmus or kwashiorkor are unheard of in the west. Take this with the warning that your center should provide you not only with information on your diet but with access to a dietician and/or nutritionist. 

I use a full fat yogurt but try to look for lower sugar one's. I like that and the fat helps me feel more satisfied. I also like to buy plain yogurt and make my own sweetening (more controlled and can use maple syrup or honey (which I like). 

I've never heard of using needles to inject. What was that for? That seems like it may of been diabetes related? I think you'd have to clarify that but it seems unlikely that you'd get to this point without information if you had to inject yourself with ? 

Good luck! Don't worry too much. 

Karen

Surgery date is Oct. 17th, 2013 in Ottawa. I was referred to the clinic in September 2012. The person performing my surgery is Dr Amy Neville. 

G_mama_d
on 1/15/14 6:48 pm - North Bay, Canada

I went through Toronto Western, i did not have to inject myself once discharged. They injected blood thinners while i was in the hospital. I ate a lot if lentils, lentil soup, carrot soup with red lentils then pureed. I used unflavored protein powder in my source greek yogurt and skim milk powder in my milk.

Good luck!

RNY - Dec 18/2013

HW- 333 lbs. Approved for Surgery- 285.4 SW- 272.  GW-160-180

alysan
on 1/15/14 7:26 pm - Canada

I buy the protein powder from Costco but I am going to try the unflavoured one from Bulk Barn.

Yogurt-I like the Silhouette or Source greek yogurt. But there is a 0% fat and low carb one at Costco.  It is unflavoured and packaged in a container like a sour cream container.  There are three for 9.99.

Referral: Feb. 14, 2013; Orientation: May 16, 2013: 1st RN/NUT/SW appt: May 28, 2013; 2nd RN/NUT/SW appt: July 31, 2013; Dr. Agarwal (internist): Aug. 6, 2013; Post Op Class: Nov. 25 2013; Dr. Reed: Dec. 17, 2013; Surgery: February 13,2014

kimber291
on 1/15/14 9:01 pm, edited 1/15/14 9:09 pm - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

Deemags,

The Tinzaparin shots are to prevent blood clots, they are given for 8 days. 

If you were to have the injections I would think you would have been told about them from the nurse when you met with them. And given a pamphlet. Now with that being said...

LOL forget everything your about to read, I just seen in your siggy that your at TWH :-)

If you are going through Humber then you will be having them, and you may have to pay for them yourself as some insurances don't cover them. I don't think St Joseph's Toronto has them as part of their program as I don't see them listed on the paperwork I have for there, (not unless they are covered as part of your program) I would recommend calling your Center just to make sure as they have to be bought your first day there as they start you on them while in the hospital. They vary in price as well depending on your weight.  If you weigh less then 242lbs they are $89, 242-352lbs is $189 and more then 352lbs is $260. 

Good luck on Monday!!

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

deemags
on 1/17/14 8:19 am - maple, Canada

Thank you so much.

deemags
on 1/17/14 8:21 am - maple, Canada

Thank you everyone .....i can't believe 72hrs to go..

Most Active
Recent Topics