Opti has its upsides...

msmuggins
on 12/17/14 9:34 pm - Canada
RNY on 01/05/15

Day 4 of Opti and I'm not lovin' it in terms of having to choke it down.  There is an inescapable taste that can't be covered up with SF syrups, coffee, or anything.  Whatever it takes...

However, I took my measurements last night and I've dropped nearly 2.5 inches on all of my body parts (with the exception of my wrist). Some of this is likely water, but it can't all be.  I'm looking forward to seeing what my weight is when I go for the pre-surgery appointments tomorrow (I just ordered my FitBit Aria scale, so I'm still in the dark on my actual weightloss).  But my clothes fit so much looser, I feel really clear-headed and my emotions have levelled off (the first three days were a challenge in terms of emotional highs and lows).  This is the wonderful feeling that results from purging sugar from your body.  And I have zero hunger...it's difficult to convince myself to even drink 3 of the shakes.

My tum isn't terribly happy though - it's been gurgling and making nasty comments to me all morning.  Keeps life interesting.

I'm hoping the next 17 days go quickly...starting to get nervous about surgery but I'm cheered by the happy reports of all those who have recently landed on the bench and described their experiences. Thanks for letting the pre-ops know that it's not as bad as we fear!

~ Per aspera ad astra ☆彡 

jaxie77
on 12/17/14 9:46 pm, edited 12/17/14 9:46 pm - Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Hey dear,  

You've described exactly how I felt after 3 days . I did like the Opti though , strangely enough ! The next 17 days will go by fast , before you know it you'll be on the other side of it then it will be the countdown to surgery . Id say it will continue to be an emotional rollercoaster,  and for me the hunger was more of a boredom thing . By the end I was so bored of opti and just craving something to chew on !! But honestly , by that time the surgery is so close that you are so full of resolve and ready for what's ahead that it gives you the strength to push through it and make it to the end . It's quite a feeling when you realize you've done it ! I'm rooting  for you lovey ! You can do this , and your day wil be here before you know it !! 

Keep it up doll ! 

Jax x 

msmuggins
on 12/18/14 1:55 am - Canada
RNY on 01/05/15

Awww, thanks for the inspiring words, Jax!  I've been watching your updates like a hawk -- I'm glad that your surgery went really well (super glad that they are generous with the pain meds ).  Are they releasing you today or tomorrow?

I've gotta say that even the taste of Opti wasn't as bad today (dare I hope that I'm getting used to it?).  I can't even describe how helpful it is to have everyone on OH to talk to.  It feels so good to know that there are a bunch of other people who have gone through the same thing (and are going through the same thing).  The support I receive from this site and from people like you is treasured more than you can know.

I'm feeling pretty zen today, almost euphoric.  Makes me wish I had kicked sugar a long time ago -- it's hard to truly realize how destructive high sugar consumption is until you have detoxed from it.  The difference is startling to me.

Best wishes for your return home!  Safe healing!  I can't wait to hear your updates as you rock the RNY!!  

Cheers!

GS

~ Per aspera ad astra ☆彡 

Patm
on 12/17/14 9:46 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Glad you are finding an up-side to opti. Sometimes that is all it takes is a positive attitude. Opti is challenging but you appear to be doing great. Keep up the great job and it will be time for surgery in no time.

msmuggins
on 12/18/14 1:57 am - Canada
RNY on 01/05/15

Thanks, Pat!  I love reading your updates on "What Are You Eating/Doing Today" -- I think many of the pre-ops stalk that daily post.  Ironically, it's what's getting me through Opti (the idea that at some point I'll be able to eat real and tasty food).

~ Per aspera ad astra ☆彡 

Wesley T.
on 12/18/14 1:29 am - Canada

I got my Fit*****arge in from Indigo yesterday! You should let us all know how you like the Aria scale. 

Cannot wait for the luxurious taste and smooth frothiness of the Optifast, as I slowly swallow it down three times a day! Especially the Vanilla kind Mmmmmmmmnnnn I heard that is the worst! I start in Febuary hopefully.

Keep us updated and congratulations on your inches lost!!! 

REFERRAL: FEB 14 ORIENTATION: AUG 22/14 SOCIAL WORKER: SEP 19/14 NURSE PRACTITIONER: OCT 22/14 PHARMACIST: OCT 23/14 

SURGEON APT: FEB 06/15 SURGERY DATE: APRIL 13/15 HW: 333 (Pre-Optifast) CW: 260.5

msmuggins
on 12/18/14 2:02 am - Canada
RNY on 01/05/15

Wesley, I'm SUCH a gadget geek - it's embarassing!  I saw the Fit*****arge and Surge and I nearly bought one (even though I had just bought the Flex).  I restrained myself because I'll probably end up buying an Apple iWatch (or whatever they end up calling it).

The Aria, by all reports, is awesome.  I can't wait to try it.  Amazon is so crazy fast with their deliveries.  I ordered it yesterday and got a notification today that it's out for delivery (and I didn't even choose fast shipping, just the regular "free" shipping).  Helps that I live in Toronto, I guess.  I'm hoping that it's waiting for me when I get home from work today!

RE: Opti -- it is truly gross at first.  I'd have to say the second day was the worst because my body kind of freaked out with the radical change of eating (or in this case not eating) habits.  But I can heartily say that Day 4 is soooo much better, so don't get discouraged if your first few days really suck because it does get better. Can't wait to hear your impression of it when you start in February (I'll be saving a spot on the bench for you at that point)!

~ Per aspera ad astra ☆彡 

Wesley T.
on 12/19/14 6:40 am - Canada

Muggins, I love Amazon as well! It is so easy like you say with the free super saver shipping. I can't imagine anyone who would ever use the expedient choice, or how the postal system could ship it any faster.

I have searched on Amazon for Sugar Free syrups but they seemed so few of choice, and too expensive. I think one was around $15. I have not yet searched Walmart, and I haven't seen any at Costco except for our shakes there. All I can say is bring it on, and I am glad that you are doing well, keep up the good work! I will take that spot on the bench soon enough! 

REFERRAL: FEB 14 ORIENTATION: AUG 22/14 SOCIAL WORKER: SEP 19/14 NURSE PRACTITIONER: OCT 22/14 PHARMACIST: OCT 23/14 

SURGEON APT: FEB 06/15 SURGERY DATE: APRIL 13/15 HW: 333 (Pre-Optifast) CW: 260.5

msmuggins
on 12/18/14 2:37 am - Canada
RNY on 01/05/15

And PS:  I've finally discovered the secret to making Opti bearable taste-wise - dilute the crap out of it!  I had been using twice what they recommended in terms of water but now I've started adding even more water and more ice and it makes a huge difference.  It doesn't taste nearly as bad this way and I end up drinking more water (win-win)!

~ Per aspera ad astra ☆彡 

(deactivated member)
on 12/18/14 3:07 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Honestly, I drank a lot of broth, more than opti. I guess I wasn't the perfect OPTI student :) I drank 2 a day. The person I donated my leftover OPTI to was happy about that, saved them a weeks worth to buy. 

congrats on the measurements! It's only about to get way better for you. Keep trucking on and looking forward! 

Most Active
Recent Topics