Scope to check for ulcers - questions

Pamela.S.
on 9/8/15 8:58 am - Canada

So once I hit 6 months and stopped taking Prevacid, my stomach started burning like crazy.  Had a follow up with Dr Glazer and he put me back on Prevacid but told me to follow up with the surgeon.  Never had such a burning pain in my life, saw surgeon a few days later and he said we need to do a scope to check for a possible ulcer but continue taking prevacid until the scope (which is tomorrow, 4 weeks after I started back on Prevacid).  Day after I see Dr Hagan, the burning pain is so bad I can't even concentrate on work, can't sleep, I'm chewing Tums like crazy.  Call Dr Glazer, he's out for a week, call Dr Hagan, he's out for a week, go to my GP who puts me on another Proton Pump Inhibitor, which I continue to take along with the Prevacid.  Burning isn't so bad now, but it's still there.

So my scope is at 2:15 tomorrow at Humber River.  I was told I can have some water in the morning but none after 7am.  I should have checked with them, but do I take my morning meds?  Has anyone had a scope?  I was so concentrated on my burning stomach that I didn't ask any questions.  I have no idea what to expect and would appreciate any feedback/guidance.

Thanks,

Pam

Referral Sept/13, changed centres to HRRH - Orientation Mar 24/14.  Feb 5, 2015 - SURGERY!!!! HW 286.4 SW 264

crqvingchange
on 9/8/15 9:55 am

To be on the safe side, call where you are having your scope done and ask.  You could also take your meds earlier in the morning.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Drvn2skcede
on 9/8/15 10:57 am

If you take your morning meds before 7 am, they will likely be long digested/absorbed before you get to 2:15 pm.  Of course call to make sure if you have any misgivings.

As for my experience with a scope (pre-surgery), the rule to not have anything after 7 is so that your stomach is empty because once they put that scope down you are going to throw up/gag, ALOT!  It's better when this happens that nothing more than a wee bit of water/saliva comes up. Mostly I was dry heaving and salivating.  Good luck with it.

FYI, sometimes when one tries to go off meds for acid reflux they get a rebound effect, meaning that the body compensates for the meds by increasing acid production, so for some people, going off the meds means about a week of pure hell, with reflux worse than they've ever had before. But once they get over that hump and past those first few days, it eventually dissipates and goes away and then they can be medication free.  If after a week or so though, the GERD doesn't go away then, ya, back on the meds. (if this doesn't apply to you, then maybe other readers might find it useful).  Hopefully they get to the bottom of this for you and you can be med free in your future!

Referral (OWMC): January 12, 2015; Orientation: April 20, 2015; Intake Nurse: Jul 8, 2015; Beh/Nut: Oct 20, 2015. Beh2: Nov 23, 2015; Nut2: Dec 15, 2015; Pre-Sx Class: January 22, 2016; Surgeon Appt: February 8, 2016; Surgery: March 9, 2016.

Patm
on 9/8/15 4:03 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I was put to sleep and woke up done. No throwing up nothing. Relax I am sure it will be fine

Alligator
on 9/8/15 6:14 pm

I'm sorry to hear you're going through this, Pam.  When you're better, perhaps we could "chat". I'm pre-op,and have lots of questions.  I am seeing Dr grazier in three weeks and dr Hagen on October 15th.  I'm hoping my surgery gets scheduled for this year.

RidingFan
on 9/8/15 7:57 pm - Ajax, Canada
RNY on 04/29/13

Dr Hagen did my scope for a similar problem...suspected ulcers about 5 weeks prior but all have cleared up by then. I took no meds that morning and had no issues with procedure at all. 

Referred HRRH Apr.  2012, Info. Session: Sept 12/12, Surgeon Consult: Dr L Smith Sept 19/12,  RD/SW/RN/ Nov 19/12.  Surgery Date:  April 29, 2013

Most Active
Recent Topics