Using HSA for Tummy tuck

westwoodbob
on 2/5/12 11:18 am - Olympia, WA
does anyone know if a HSA fund can be used after bypass surgery. I know as a general rule the funds can't be used for regular cosmetic surgery.

PBJ
on 2/5/12 11:28 am
Is HSA the same as flex. spending account?  I have that and I could not use that for cosmetic surgery.  I don't know if that is the same as HSA.

Patty
My weight loss journey                                                    
Paul C.
on 2/6/12 4:22 am - Cumming, GA
Regarding the audits...Not always the case.
Ours are monitored closely by the administrator, every single time you use it.

Had to buy my little girl some eye patches, used the card and it was kicked back to me within the week for supporting documentaton. I had 30d to get it to them or they would deactivate the card.

Then, I got a lymphatic massage following my TT. They kicked it back me in about 2 weeks. Again needed to provide supporting documents.

Not all FSA are created equal. Best suggestion is to read the fine print for yours.

Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
JustLookingToo
on 2/5/12 3:22 pm, edited 2/5/12 3:25 am - AL
I think that if you can get a doctor to fill out the form for medical need, it will be accepted. I'm not positive, though. I've been trying to find this out, too, since my plan says that some cosmetic surgery is allowable. I have been having medical issues that are going to require breast implant removal, so I was wondering if I could use my Flexible Spending for some of the costs.

Even if you can't use it for the actual surgeon's fee, you may be able to use it to cover some of the other costs. My plan says that is covers hospital fees, for instance. I have a debit/Visa (issued by my plan) card that can be scanned at hospitals and doctors offices. I've used it for all kinds of surgeries in the past, and, even though they have all been allowable things, I don't think they check for codes and such when they process the payment. It just shows up as a hospital charge, pharmacy charge, etc.

If, for instance, I were to use my card at a hospital the morning of my surgery, it would likely go through as payment for my hospital costs. The hospital would be paid. However, they *might* eventually require me to send in some kind of proof of medical need. If that happened, and if I did not have a form filled out by a doctor or surgeon that showed medical need, I would have to pay the plan back the entire amount for anything that was ruled to be not medically necessary. The payment to the hospital would not be revoked, but I would be billed for the amount that they issued.

That being said, the form (at least with my plan) is very short, and does not require a surgeon to write specifics about my care. He or she must only state that the expense was medically necessary. In the case of my implant issue, I have tons of documentation that will show medical need.

I think you would have a good argument for medical need, as the Federal guidlines for Flexible spending plans say that it is not "cosmetic" if it is the result of a "disease". Since obesity is classified as a disease, and the extra skin is a result of obesity, I would think that it should be covered if you can get a doctor on your side who is willing to fill out the forms.

Let me know if you find out anything else about using your Flexspend for this. If you are talking about true Health Spending Accounts, I think they have different rules.

mkbeany
on 2/5/12 11:08 pm
Where I work, it cannot be used for any cosmetic surgeries.
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. " -- Anais Nin

Revised from Band to Bypass 10/26/09
High Wt 355/ Surgery Wt 343 (BMI 61) / Current Wt 190 on 3/17/12

TT/Fleur De Lis 8/22/11
Mastopexy and Brachioplasty 12/14/11
Trish C.
on 2/6/12 12:57 am
I believe it can be used, if it is covered under your health insurance.  They will not let you use it if your insurance company deems it elective and will not pay for it.

My insurance is covering my panni removal, and I plan on using mine.

Vitamins and Suppliments are not covered, but anything you can get a prescription for is covered.

The IRS is the only one who audits these accounts.  The bank where it is held does not, and I have not heard anyone who has used it get it declined.  Most places of business just run it as a debit card.  Recently a person I new used it to buy gas of all things.

The IRS would penalize you 20% in addition to income taxes if they deem it not a qualified expense.
Trish
HW: 247, SW: 217, LW: 128 CW: 151
goal weight of 130 hit, trying to get back down to 140

avidreader
on 2/6/12 7:41 am - Cary, NC
I could not use mine, either.
I would definitely investigate though.  Your plan may be different.
I think the rule pretty much is - if something could be counted as a tax deduction it could be reimbursed since you are using pre tax dollars.

Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal
250/241/139.5/125
I have a new philosophy, I'm only going to dread one day at a time.  Charlie Brown
Laura H.
on 10/17/14 12:26 am
RNY on 11/21/14 with

The federal laws around HSA and FSA are different. Some of the laws apply to both. Just an FYI for everyone, your doctor can write a prescription for almost any health related over the counter item (bandages, eye patch, tylenol, vitamins) and even though the prescription won't be covered by your insurance, you can use HSA or FSA to pay for it (always easier if you have the credit card option with your employer, but not all employers do). I think you should call your HR or whoever does benefits where you work or you can contact the company that administers the HSA if you have one.

Good luck!

Most Active